Heart Broken

Dick was fourteen and in middle school. He also had his first crush, on a girl named May. She had red hair (that bat boys are into red heads XD) and her smile could light up a room. He'd never had a girlfriend before but decided to ask her out. Well.. That plan went south and Bruce was called out of his meeting to pick up a sick Dick.

Dick didn't talk in the car. Usually he was full of life and Bruce couldn't get him to shut up. That's how you know he's 'sick'. What Bruce didn't know was that Dick wasn't sick in the sense of having the cold but in the having-his-heart-broken way.

Bruce cleared his throat as he watched Dick from the rearview mirror. Dick was lying in the back looking as if he wanted to cry and Bruce felt his heart break. "So.. Dick, when I left you off this morning you were perfectly fine. What happened?" He gave a tired shrug. Then it clicked in his mind. "I-is someone bullying you?!" A shake of the head. "When we get home Alfred will make you his famous soup. How does that sound?" Dick shrugged. He loved Alfred's soup! Something was wrong.

When they got home, Dick went to his room and wouldn't talk to anyone. With some help from Alfred, Bruce went to talk to the boy. He knocked on the door and walked in. The curtains were drawn shut and he was curled on top of the bed sobbing. Bruce took a seat next to him.

"What happened, Dick?" Bruce asked softly. He was generally concerned. Dick gave a sniffle. "May" May? Surely he wasn't talking about the month. It was only September and his parents anniversary wasn't even in May. Unless, it was a girl's name. Suddenly, it clicked in Bruce's mind. "I see. Your crush rejected you." Dick sat up. "For stupid Tyler."

Bruce nodded. He understood. "You know, when I was your age I had a crush on a girl named June and tried to win her affection," Dick looked up at the man with curiosity. "A-and what happened?" He seemed so interested. "She dated a guy named Charlie." Dick glared. Not at Bruce but at the thought of someone rejecting his father.

"I know how to fix the pain," Bruce smiled. Dick started in awe. He wanted this pain to disappear quickly. "How?!" He was desperate. "Ice cream. I'll buy the whole shop if it makes you feel better," Dick jumped up excitedly. Totally forgetting about May. "Let's go!"

That's how Bruce ended up with an ice cream bar in the manor..