»one

"now would you mind telling me what you were doing down by the ocean?"

yoongi whined and leaned back in his chair. his father was always like this. every day he would have to deal with his father lecturing him on the dangers of the sea. how there were evil creatures like raging pirates and wicked merpeople.

however, the stories of the merpeople also intrigued the small boy. the idea of humans with the tails of fish instead of legs fascinated them. every night he would go to sleep dreaming of what they were like. did they have families like himself? was there a king ruling over the kingdom like his father did? did they speak a different language?

all of these thoughts would bottle up inside his mind to the point where he could no longer concentrate on falling back to sleep. instead he would stay up to the early hours of the morning, when the sky was only just beginning to lighten and the birds were just starting to sing.

of course this caused great distress in both his father and the maids but he didn't care.

"so you don't have an excuse this time?" yoongi simply shook his head. there was no valid reason to why he was really down by the sea so there wasn't any point in arguing. "just go to your room and don't come out until dinner."

the young boy obeyed. 

but, as he sat on his bed staring out of the window at the ocean scenery only one thing crossed his mind.

who was that boy down by the rocks?

~~

the next morning yoongi crept out the back doors of the castle and down to the beach.

light still hadn't even reached the horizon. he bit his tongue to keep himself from yelping as he continuously stepped on sharp rocks. as he reached the spot where he had first seen the boy he cursed.

why did he expect the boy to be there again? he knew he promised he would come back to see him but would the boy really believe his promise.

he sat on the edge of the rocks, looking out at the vast sea. it was calming.

a sudden shout alerted yoongi and he turned to see some guardsman walking on the beach, calling out his name. it looked as though they didn't see him yet. luckily.

yoongi clamped his hands over his mouth as a yelp tried to leave his mouth. he looked down to see the same boy there. a small was etched onto the other's lips.

"yoongi!" the guards continued to call and they were walking closer.

the blonde boy looked down at the merboy, who was beckoning him to come into the water.

"i don't know how to swim..."

the other just smiled at him. he didn't speak a word but opened his arms, reading to catch yoongi.

wind whipped around yoongi as the calls of the guards became closer, although it didn't seem as though they noticed him yet.

with a steady breath yoongi braced himself, squeezing his eyes shut before jumping down into the water below.

he felt himself plunging into the freezing cold temperature of the salt water before a pair of arms wrapped around him. yoongi gasped for air as he got to the surface. keeping a tight grip on the boy who was holding onto him.

the boy swam them to a small cove under the rock, hiding themselves from the passing guards.

yoongi turned to the boy as the guards left. the boy had blonde hair and a chubby smile etched onto his face.

"what are you?"

the boy didn't respond and instead places yoongi on a small rock under the cove.

yoongi looked down at the boys shimmering tail.

"are you a mermaid? like the ones in the stories my father would always read to me?"

"jimin..." yoongi furrowed his eyebrows as the boy spoke. his voice came out in a soft whisper, reminding yoongi of the light breeze that would sweep over the ocean bringing a salty scent to the castle.

"that's your name?" the other boy nodded as he glided gracefully through the water.

"well it's nice to meet you jimin." yoongi reached out his hand to shake hands, jimin hesitantly taking yoongi's larger hand in his own. "we're going to be great friends."