Chapter 27

"Having fun are we Turner?"

He raised an eyebrow as he stared at me with a questionable and slightly disturbed look. And in that moment, I was brought back. Back to the hell I called reality.

I blinked, no longer in my own little world and was now standing still. Thomas stared expectantly and I returned his stare with a salute.

This shocked him but I didn't care. I was already in an uncomfortable situation.

"Just doing my work, sir," I told him. I had forced out the word 'sir' and it felt weird as it left my tongue. I dropped the salute and immediately wanted to take back the unnecessary suffix I added.

He stared down at the mess of Demolishers with a thoughtful expression. "Uh huh."

I watched his actions carefully and narrowed my eyes suspiciously. "So what are you doing here? Where are your troops?"

He turned his attention back to me again. "I actually left to find you. Quite fortunate actually that it didn't take me that long. I saw you and your...little activity from afar."

I didn't say anything and merely waited for him to continue his explanation.

"You see, there's a level three demolisher lurking around this very place and well, I couldn't let my troops know so I made a decision to deal with it myself. That's where you now come in."

I raised an eyebrow. "You want me to fight a level three Demolisher?"

Thomas shook his head. "No. I need you to also lead my troops once you see them. They're quite busy at the moment but you'll be able to find them."

He did it again.

He actually did it again.

Thomas didn't even say anything else and just took off straight ahead. I glared at him while watching him run.

Every. Single. Damn. Time. He treated me like a child and I was expected to abide to his every command. He thought I would just do whatever he said because of authority.

Oh how I hated authority.

I hated how authority limited freedom to those who deserved it more than they did. And what I hated most of all is being treated as an inferior.

All our life, we lived listening to different people giving orders. Whether it was your parent, teacher, boss or whoever it may have been, we were forced to always follow their orders because that's right: authority.

Well I was sick of it. Someone needed to teach tell that guy to get his head out of his ass or dealing with a level three Demolisher would be the least of his problems.

"Sucks doesn't it?"

I jumped up in surprise and sharply turned around, readily holding my gun. The voice shocked me enough to forget about my rant.

When I saw who it was, I actually calmed down rather than pulling the trigger. It had been some time since I saw those auburn eyes so to meet them again, made me curious.

Mari's smile never seemed to fade. She was so relaxed and I noticed that her auburn eyes changed to her Demolisher eyes. She also let some of her claws come out.

I frowned, not used to seeing her in her Demolisher-like state. "Why aren't you using your human form?" I questioned.

"Why bother? I'm in the middle of a war so I might as support my kind," she answered.

"But you might get killed," I argued.

"And you care." It wasn't a question but a statement.

I scoffed. "I don't."