Chapter 18

Peter raised his eyebrows suggestively that I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "So after that you two just ventured off together? I see."

I sighed. "It wasn't like that. We were both just hungry and..."

Peter smirked. "Oh! So that's what it's called now."

"Okay yes, we went somewhere to eat but that was it," I told him with a grunt.

His eyes glistened and he smiled brightly. "My pal's finally growing up. He found love!"

I narrowed my eyes. "Velvet and I are just teammates."

"Yeah, teammates who are quite close," he taunted.

I was about to protest what he said but then James decided to join in the conversation. "Who's close with Velvet?" he asked. I noticed that he was somewhat eager to know.

Peter gestured towards me with a sly smile. "This Romeo right here."

If looks could kill, I'd have been killed multiple times because James was apparently a murderer. Not understanding his sudden problem with me, I raised a questionable eyebrow. He shook his head and changed his expression completely.

"So you and Velvet are dating?" he questioned.

"No," I answered sharply, causing James to frown in confusion.

"But he just said-"

I instantly cut him off. "He says a bunch of stupid things and even if I was going out with Velvet, what would be the problem?"

James didn't answer but stared at me with a solemn expression. I was guessing that Velvet was the girl who rejected him because he looked like a lovesick puppy. Darius soon trailed behind, also joining in.

"What's this I hear about someone dating Velvet? Looks like your girl was already with someone pal," he told James.

James shrugged. "Never stopped me from liking a girl," he countered.

I turned around, allowing the three of them to have their own little conversation. It didn't take long for Nobody to arrive and once he did, everyone stood still and listened to what he had to say.

"Welcome again," he greeted with a mouthful of a sandwich had bitten. He took a couple more bites before he finally gave us more information.

"Of course a series of training will take place today and they will be more intense than before. Not only is it because of the exams but it's also important to know how to face each kind of demolisher."

I tried not to show signs of discomfort when he mentioned 'Demolishers'. What happened that day was still fresh in my mind and I was surprised I hadn't said anything to anybody. I glanced at Peter who stared expectantly at Nobody. He was my best friend whom I knew I could talk to about anything but ever since my encounter with those creatures, I've been keeping the secret from him ever since. I was worried that he'd try and get involved or report the issue. It would surely endanger the both of us.

"So far there are three types of demolishers that the scientists have discovered: Level one, level two and level three. The most dangerous type is the level three demolishers. These kind of demolishers can camouflage as ordinary human beings and go about deceiving people that they're the same as us. That's their greatest weapon. Fall for their trap and you'll be done for."

I thought deeply, my eyes widening. Could Mari have been a level three Demolisher? Of course she was. The description Nobody gave pretty much summed her character. This caused me to become worried. She was able to deceive me with her eyes and I fell for her trap. Sure, she hadn't laid a finger on me but she was a Demolisher at the end of the day who hated humans. And I was a human and Demolishers could not be trusted.

Suddenly, a look of determination came over me and I gave myself a nod. I decided I would do whatever it took to pass the exam. I would train as hard as I could and fight with everything I got because whatever was going to happen to me, I had to be ready. Ready to fight for my fate.

And I did just that.