fortY-nine

"So, this girl...she walked up to me and she asked me how old I was," I picked up Daebak since she still wasn't big enough to jump on the bed, "And she helped me bandage up Daebakie, so I send her pictures of her now."
"I can't believe she was in an alley," Jimin sighed and reached over, scratching behind the kitty's ears, "She's so pretty."
I watched Jimin, seeing the light in his eyes like I used to. It made me wonder when it left, why, and where it went.
He turned back to me and blushed as he smiled, "What?"
I didn't say anything. I just reached over and placed my hand on his left cheek as I leaned closer. I wanted to kiss him and I couldn't hold back anymore.
Our lips touched and Jimin whimpered as he kissed back.
I pressed my thumb into his cheek harder, wanting to make the kiss deeper.
He pulled away though, and dropped his head.
"Hyung?"
"I'm sorry. I just-"
I pressed my fingers against his cheek and he flinched. That struck me as odd, "Look up."
Slowly, Jimin lifted his head, keeping his gaze down.
I pressed my index finger against his cheek and he winced. Then I noticed that he was wearing makeup, but only on his cheek. It was blended so I hadn't noticed before.
I pulled my hand away and licked my thumb, then pressed it to his cheek to remove it.
Slowly, a purplish color began to be visible and it dawned on me what it was after Jimin sniffed.
"Who did this?," I whispered, grabbing his hand.
"You shouldn't care," he said, his tears spilling over to his cheeks.
"I do," I said firmly, "Who did this to you?"
Jimin's eyes flitted up to meet my gaze and he hesitated before he said, "Yoon Gi."
"When?," I growled.
Jimin squeezed my hand and sighed, steadying his voice, "When I told him...that I was moving out."
I stared at him for a long time, then finally came to a conclusion, "I'm going back with you."
"What? Kookie, no," Jimin's hands shot to my cheeks.
"Yes," I stood up and walked towards my closet.
Jimin followed and grabbed my arm, stopping me, "Jungkook please. Hyung isn't well. He's upset right now-"
"That doesn't mean he can hit you," I tore my arm from his grip and threw open my closet door.
I started grabbing clothes and stuffing them in a duffel bag I had laying nearby.
"Kookie, please," Jimin grabbed the pair of jeans I was holding, "Stop acting this way."
"What way?," I turned back to my closet and got another pair of jeans, but Jimin took those too.
"I can take care of myself!," he took a step back.
"Well, I want to take care of you!," I yelled.
Everything went quiet, not even Daebak made a sound.
I looked to Jimin and he seemed as if he were going to cry.
Slowly and gently I reached over and took my clothes from Jimin's hands. He was just staring at me, in a scared way.
I dropped my jeans on the floor and grabbed his arm, pulling him into a hug.
He held on to me, like a koala on a tree, which was comforting at least.
"I'm sorry," I whispered and pressed my lips to his forehead. He didn't say anything, so I tightened my hold on him.
"I made this mess Kookie," Jimin spoke quietly, "I have to fix it by myself."
"No you don't," I breathed out.
"Yes I do."
"I'll help you," I said, "This involves me too, ya know."
"I know...but it's all my fault," his voice cracked and I started rubbing his back.
"Jimin-"
"I started this, I have to end it," he muttered.
After a short pause I sighed, "I'm going with you Jimin, no matter what you say. I love you and I'm going to protect you."
"Kookie-"
"Does he know where you moved to?"
"Well, yeah, but-"
"Stay here tonight. I don't want to send you up there alone."
"Jungkook," Jimin pushed himself away from me, "Seok Jin wouldn't ever let me stay, not now."
"He'll just have to deal with it. He's my Eomma and I love him, but I love you too. If he doesn't already know that, he needs to learn it."
"Don't say that," Jimin crossed his arms and looked down.
"Why? I'm not lying, it would be different if I was lying, but I'm not," my anger was rising again so I reached into my closet and pulled out a few more things.
"Jungkook stop!," Jimin yelled, and I did. I didn't turn to face him as he continued though, "You aren't coming back with me because it's not safe for you!"
"Then how the hell is it safe for you!," I looked over my shoulder, breathing heavily as tried to calm myself.
He either didn't want to answer or he had no answer because he was silent.
Daebak let out a scratchy mewl and I looked over to her.
She was hidden under the blankets, not used to people yelling around her.
"Sorry Daebakie," I muttered and looked to the floor.
After a few seconds, I felt Jimin's hesitant touch on my shoulder, then he held on to my arm, "Kookie, I know you want to protect me-"
"I do-"
"I know," he sighed and laid his forehead against my arm, "but you can't fight all my battles. How am I ever supposed to get stronger if you pander to my every need and want?"
"I just," I slowly turned to him, "I want you to have everything. You deserve that and so much more."
He paused for a second then licked his lips, "Do you still love me?"
"Yes," I breathed out immediately.
"Then I have everything," he whispered.
For the longest time, I just stared at him. Then it dawned on me. Jimin didn't need to have material things or popularity or anything like that. He just needed to know that someone he cared about, cared about him too.
I placed my hands on his shoulders, mouthing 'I'm sorry' at first because my voice wouldn't work. But on the third try I finally was able to say, "I'm sorry," as I pulled him into a hug.
"It's okay, Kookie," he rubbed my back as I started sobbing.
"I love you, Jimin," I closed my eyes, hoping that would help stop the tears, "This is so fucked up."
"I know," Jimin muttered, "I'm sorry."
"I love you."
"I love you, too," Jimin kissed my cheek and started to lower us to the floor.
I pulled him into my lap as I got situated in my spot, leaning my head against his chest. Jimin pet my hair, occasionally combing his fingers through it.
A small meow made me look to my left and I saw Daebak walking up to us.
She nuzzled my hand, purring as she managed to scratch her ears on my knuckles.
I started to lightly laugh, since she'd never done that before. Jimin giggled once he realized what was going on.
"She doesn't like to see you cry either," Jimin spoke quietly.
I smiled up at him, happy to hear those words from him.
After a second he leaned his head down, resting his forehead against mine.
I closed my eyes and relaxed, instantly feeling perfectly fine. All I need is my Jiminie Hyung.
"Kookie?"
"Stay here," I wrapped my arms around him slowly, on the brink of tears.
"I can't," he whispered, "I want to. I want to stay and I want to fix everything, but I can't."
"I know."