Chapter Sixteen: I Get a Last Name

Start bij het begin

***

"Where's Aaron?" Leo asked Calypso as he sauntered down the beach towards her.

"I put a sleeping spell on him. We'll have the whole night to ourselves," Calypso beamed at him and she could see his eyes light up, even though he didn't make a big deal of it. "So have you come up with a genius plan to get us off of here yet?"

"Kill him and leave?"

"Yeah, there's a minor problem with that," Calypso said seriously.

"I'm joking."

"There's something you need to know about him, though."

"What?" Leo asked.

"I made him immortal."

He grimaced but didn't blame Calypso, which she was glad of. "That could cause a minor problem."

"Just like me, though, he can't get off this island on his own."

"If he's asleep, then why are we still here?" Leo questioned.

Calypso sighed.

"I suppose... I suppose we can leave," Calypso said hesitantly.

"Don't you want to come with me?" Leo asked, looking slightly hurt.

"Well... I want to be with you, Leo, but please understand, this has been my home for, like, over a thousand years. It's a big change."

"I need to get you back before you have the baby."

Calypso sighed. She knew it was true; she didn't want Aaron around when she gave birth. With the way he treated her, she didn't want to see what he would do to a baby. She knew that now might be the last chance she had to escape the island before the baby came as magic was getting tougher and tougher as she grew more and more pregnant.

"Can we just... Spend a few more minutes here? Maybe relax by the beach?"

Leo's gaze softened. "I guess. Just you and me by the beach. I can live with that," he grinned.

***

Those were some of the best minutes of Calypso's long life. It was just her and Leo, underneath the stars, their feet resting in the warm night water. The sound of the waves lulled her into a blissful haze as she rested her head on Leo's shoulder.

"Do you remember when I came here for the first time and we talked about opening Leo and Calypso's Garage?" Leo asked thoughtfully, picking up a handful of sand and letting it sift through his fingers.

"No."

Leo looked up at her, clearly hurt.

"I'm joking, you idiot, of course I remember!"

"Oh," Calypso imagined that Leo was blushing through the darkness. "Sorry. Well, we could still do that."

"So I could spend the rest of my life making cider and stew?"

"Or you can work with me on my projects," Leo suggested hopefully.

"We'll see. You know, I'm going to have a baby to take care of, too."

"We're going to have a baby to take care of," Leo corrected. "Calypso, do you have a last name?"

"Um, no. Why?"

"You should."

"Like..."

"Valdez." There was a stunned silence before Leo pulled something from his pocket, knelt down on one knee and asked, "Calypso, will you marry me?"

She was too shocked to answer at first. She had waited thousands of years for a man she loved to love her back, and now it was happening.

"Of course I'll marry you, Repair Boy," she replied, a huge, giddy grin spreading across her face.

And they kissed.

***

"Um, we should probably get going," Leo muttered after they had kissed each other for about twenty minutes. It had felt so good that it had seemed like neither of them could stop.

"Yeah... Just give me five minutes, I want to grab a few things. Unfortunately, I can't take my loom..."

"I'll build you a new one," Leo promised instantly and Calypso couldn't help but smile.

"Thanks." She crept back into her cave, trying her best not to wake Aaron. She grabbed a few pairs of clothes, some food, some seeds that she hoped would grow wherever Leo was taking her and stuffed them in a fireproof drawstring bag she had woven herself. Just as she was creeping out, Aaron turned over.

"Calypso?"

Her hear dropped. Seriously? Now? He had to wake up?

Before he had a chance to say anything more, she snuck out the door and ran outside as fast as she could with her pregnant belly.

"Leo," she panted when she finally found him.

"Are you having the baby?" He looked startled.

"No you idiot, but Aaron's awake."

"Oh, crap." With that, he slid his arms underneath around her and lifted her up off the ground, running across the sand as he carried her bridal style.

Aaron stepped out of the Calypso's cave, but he still looked half asleep. Without hesitating, he thrust out his arm and sent a fireball flying from it.

"He's immortal, remember?"

"It might slow him down." Leo kept running. Finally he set her on his bronze dragon and quickly mounted in front of her. "Put your arms around me," he commanded and Calypso obeyed.

"Calypso, how can you leave? I'm your baby's father," Aaron shouted from farther back on the beach.

"Leo's my baby's father," she snapped, but as she said it, a wave of despair washed over her. "Oh please hurry up, Leo, he's doing the misery thing again."

With that, the dragon's claws left the ground and they soared into the night sky. She watched as her home grew smaller and below her, along with Aaron.

She wasn't sure if she felt guilty or happy as she left Aaron to be destined to the same heartbreaking fate as she had been for thousands of years.

But she had Leo, and in the moment, that was all that mattered.

***

What do you guys think??

I'd like you guys to have a say in Calypso's baby's name. Comment your top choices for boy &a girls names below, and if I pick yours I'll dedicate the next chapter to you.