I was an average height brunette with caramel eyes.I loved to wear jean shorts and hoodies with mismatched polka dots socks.I also changed my hairstyle practically everyday-not that anyone ever notices because I'm not one of the popular girls.

I didn't have a best friend.I was like a loner,who made sure to never stand out in a crowd.My aim was to get out of high school unscathed and achieve my ultimate goal.Getting into my dream university,Harvard-and I wasn't going to let anything bother me.

Today,apparently,seemed to be an exception.My day had ended rather badly,coming to know that I was failing a class,then being hit in the face not an hour later.Today,I was letting all my anger and disappointment get a hold of me.

"Yeah,I see it.You really need to get that thing checked out,"Ross says,looking freaked out.

"You owe me an apology!"

Ross smirked."Isn't my attention good enough?"

My anger grew at his indifference.Seriously,did he think that I was like those other girls that even if he were to run them over,just by flashing them a smile,they'd forget about it?

I shot up from the bleachers."I don't need your freaking attention.This ball of yours hit me,the least you could do is say sorry,"I said."That's it,if you don't apologize,I'm not giving you your ball back."

Groans sounded from behind Ross.

"C'mon,Ross,what's taking so long?"

"We need to keep practicing or else Coach will have our heads."

"The guys are getting impatient,"Ross said to me.

I shrugged my shoulders and slung my bag over my shoulder."So am I."

Ross stared at me,before letting out a short laugh."Are you actually playing hard to get?"

My jaw dropped."Seriously?!"I couldn't help but exclaim after recovering."You are such a dumbass."

With a roll of my eyes,I began to descend.What I didn't expect was for Ross to start walking up to meet me,but I kept going until I was one step above him.That just made us of equal height.

"Get out of my way,"I practically growled,then moved to pass beside him.Ross grabbed my hand and pulled me back.This action was so unexpected that I fell on his chest with him supporting me with his hands on my waist.My eyes widened at how close our faces were.

Ross held my jaw with his thumb and pointer finger."What's it gonna take?A kiss,perhaps?"

"Why the hell would I agree to that?"I said,pushing him away.

"Because it will be your first kiss,"he said matter-of-factly.My hand flew up to his face and connected with his right cheek,causing his head to turn to the side.Gasps sounded from the field.

"That's a first in many,"I spat,before throwing the ball and barging past Ross.I walked off the field,feeling many pairs of eyes burning holes in my back.

***

When I go home,I go straight to the living room,where I know mom is when she's not working.

"Hi,honey.How was school?"she asked with a bright smile,pausing her reruns of F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

"Okay,then bad,"I said with a frown as I sat on the coffee table in front of her.She grabbed my hands and looked at me with sympathy.

"What happened?"

"My Creative Writing teacher says I'm failing her class,"I replied with a sigh.

"That's awful,honey.But you don't have to keep wasting your time in that class when it would just taint your perfect grades.Switch to Home Economics,it will do you good."