Chapter 19 - A Little Late

Sage Dunwoody

I woke up in probably the awkwardest sleeping position I've ever experienced. I was face down on the couch, my cheek squished against the sofa. My legs were weirdly entangled together and uplifted by the backrest of the sofa. One of my hands were on my side and the other was... 

In Grayson's hair?

Why was Grayson here? I got up from the couch, sitting down and rolling my neck around. I had a horrible knot in it. Ryder? Xander? What were they doing here? Ohh, right. We all hung out at Grayson's house last night after I came back from my date. 

My date that was an L. 

I moved away the knotted strands of hair from my face, spitting out the ones from my mouth. Gross. I yawned and over dramatically stretched, reaching my hands toward the ceiling. I stretched my right leg out too far, and accidentally kicked Grayson in the face. I gasped when he shifted, putting his hand up to his nose and moaning. 

I brought my legs back toward myself. "I'm sorry!" I squeaked. 

He rubbed his face with his hand and adjusted himself to an upright position. A hand ran through his hair and he huffed, zoning out for a second. He was probably 1/4 of the way awake at this point. "Morning to you too, sunshine," he said with a low and husky voice. 

Morning Grayson was a blessing from God, to be quite blunt. 

Grayson rubbed his eyes, then rested his head in his palms. I rubbed my eyes as well, trying to get them to open all the way. Wait. Where were my glasses?

I gasped in realization, beginning to frantically raid the couch for them. I've already lost a pair last month (at least that's what I told my mom; what really happened was that someone made me do their homework that they got a B+ on, expecting an A. They returned the "favor" I did for them, unwillingly of course, by breaking my precious glasses) and insurance covers the cost of glasses annually. I didn't want my mom to pay out-of-pocket for them. 

Also, my vision is as good as Miley Cyrus twerking. In other words, terrible and blinding. 

I sighed in relief when I found them wedged in between the cushions of the sofa. I made sure there was no damage, then popped them back on my face. Unknowingly, Grayson was giving me a funny look the whole time. He chuckled in amusement when he realized I was freaking out over my glasses. 

"You good now?" he asked playfully. I rolled my eyes, but smiled and nodded my head nonetheless. 

I looked out the window, squinting at the bright light. The day looked beautiful. The sky was blue with clouds sporadically laid across it. By the shaking of the leaves, you could tell there was a subtle breeze. There were two young girls on the sidewalk, walking side by side with their backpacks and laughing at something. 

Holy shit. 

"WHAT TIME IS IT?" I yelled at no one in particular. Grayson jumped at my outburst, and Ryder bolted awake. He let out a very unmanly shriek. I winced back and wrinkled my nose. I'm pretty sure if I did a scream like that, it would tear open my goddamn throat.

"CAN EVERYONE JUST CALM DOWN?" Grayson pleaded. Now we were all yelling and screaming. 

Except Xander. 

He was sleeping like a baby.

Or a dead person. 

I took my phone out of my pocket and checked the time. It was 7:10. 

SHIT. 

SCHOOL STARTED TEN MINUTES AGO. 

"AKBFSGJBFG," I yelled, completely freaking out. To top it off, my home screen showed I had six missed calls from my mom. Fantastic.