Chapter 1 - Stop Thinking

Sage Dunwoody

"No! Pass the ball to Curry! Dude, Thompson! Do something!" I was yelling at my television. Currently, they were showing a basketball game; Oklahoma City vs The Golden State Warriors. Don't get me wrong, I love both of the teams but I couldn't help but state (more like yell) the obvious to the Warriors who were down by only two points. With only twenty seconds left in the game, they had plenty of time to be able to coordinate someone to make a shot so they could either win, or go into overtime.

"C'mon, Curry." I mumbled to myself while leaning forward on the couch. My back was hunched over, knees apart, and elbows rested on my knees. I looked like a guy. It's not like anyone was home anyways so, oh well. "Make that three."

Steph Curry crossed over the guy defending him, earning a well deserved roar from the crowd. He sped past the opposing players and ran to the corner of the court, right behind the three point boundary. Steph squared himself up and the whole arena rose to their feet, anticipating his shot. It would either make or break the game. He lifted his arms up and flicked his right wrist, releasing the ball.

Swoosh.

The crowd went wild. With that one shot, he had one them a game. The arena was boisterous with cheers and whistles. All the players from both teams jogged onto the court, shaking the opposing players hands for good sportsmanship. I, myself, did a fist pump along with a mini dance. Then, I turned off the television.

I looked at the time and it read 11:41 pm. A yawn left my open mouth and I stretched out a bit. I looked at my beige couch that had my butt imprinted into it. I had been on that couch for a solid five hours, a new record. The only times I got up was to use the restroom. I had stocked piles of food on the couch before I sat on it, prepared already. There were wrappers of various food items littered on the couch. I disregarded cleaning them up, too lazy and worn out. I turned off the lights and jogged up the stairs and into my room.

I went to my personal bathroom and quickly brushed my teeth, eager to sink into my bed. After putting my hair into a side braid, I turned off the light in my bathroom and closed the door for it. I refused to sleep with that door open. Bathrooms at night were basically a demon's lair, if the lights were off. I couldn't risk a beast coming to haunt and possess me in the middle of the night. Irrational for a seventeen year old girl, but still. Better to be safe than sorry.

I flopped onto my bed and pulled my plush covers over me, being engulfed in its warmth. I let my eyelids droop and close completely, sleep overwhelming...

Just kidding. I can't go to sleep yet. Not before I tell you everything you need to know about me, Sage Dunwoody. I'm a seventeen year old girl that goes to Sea Pine High School. Our mascot is a shark, due to its savageness and hunger for blood. But, instead of our hunger for blood, our school is hungry for wins and real food in the cafeterias. Tuesdays are the saddest days of the week if you don't have a packed lunch.

Let's see what else... Oh! I have waist length, brunette hair that is naturally wavy. I have an olive skin tone with forest green eyes, also. I'm only about 5'2", making me look like a small toothpick in a high school full of towering trees. Most of the girls at school are around 5'6", but they're overly high heels beg to differ. Black glasses settle on the bridge of my nose and I just recently got my braces off. It's like my mouth has been released of a metal cage. But I can't help but feel like my teeth are naked.

I don't want to toot my own horn or anything, but... When it comes to grades, I'm a straight A student. I have all honors classes besides chemistry, because I don't mess with that shit. I almost all the time get asked for help on homework, well more get demanded to do other people's homework. When that happens, I usually do the old, "Oh, look at the time! I must be going now!" and run away. It doesn't always work but it has gotten me out of doing someone's science project, which was making a volcano. How original.

At school, I would be classified as a nerd. Doing all my homework, getting good grades, teachers having an affinity towards me, studying, not being late to class; the stereotypical nerd aura. I never understood what was so bad about being a "nerd". You set your life up for good and the satisfaction of knowing that you have no missing assignments is good enough for me. But, don't get me wrong. I visit the procrastination station too.

Last, but not least, I am a loner. My best friend, Georgia, just happened to ironically move to the state of Georgia. They planned to only stay there for a couple of months to provide for their sick aunt, but they ended up liking the place a whole lot. So, they decided to live there. Georgia and I didn't know what to do. We've been each others only best friends for as long as we could remember. It was heartbreaking to know I would only see her every several months. When she first moved, we would face time, text, and call each other hours a day. Gradually, that became less and less and we stopped talking to each other all together. We had our own lives to live up to, and a long distance relationship didn't cut it.

That's basically all you need to know about me. I'm a nerdy, loner girl that goes to a high school full of ignorant, untrustworthy plastics. (That's the summary for you guys who didn't read those paragraphs. Yeah, don't hide. I can see you.) I'm also a huge basketball fanatic.

Now, I can finally go to sleep. I shut my eyes and cuddled into the throw pillow next to me. I internally groaned at the thought of going to school tomorrow. I had no one to be with and the things they're teaching us are standards that I already know. If I wanted to, I could actually take a nap in class and the teacher wouldn't even care. They all know what kind of student I am and what I already know.

It's not like I could just skip school for a day. Even if I did, it's not like I would be missing anything new. To be honest, going to school may be a pain in the ass sometimes, but it gives me something to occupy myself with. I don't go to parties or go out to dinner with friends. I'm just me. I only do me.

I peeled my eyes opened and sighed at my realization of life. The only thing I even live for is school, food, and television. Nothing interesting ever happens in my life. No one to love, no one to laugh with, no ones shoulder to cry on, no one to spill my heart out to, no one. I only have my mom. I love her with all my heart, but she's not around too much and sometimes I could really use a friend.

I need to stop doing this to myself. I need to stop having dramatic thinking moments about life, the universe, and everything before going to bed. That kind of stuff just keeps me up at night.

I got rid of my depressingly true thoughts and once again closed my eyes, this time hoping sleep would come. At this point, I was begging for a getaway of dreams.

***

hey guys! so this is my new and first story! it's going to be a comedy that'll hopefully be funny and not stupid.

please give this story a vote and maybe even drop a comment! these things really help writers and we appreciate them a lot :)

love every single one of you that decided to pick this story to read :) let's hope it doesn't disappoint haha