Chapter One

LUNA'S POV

LUNA'S POV

"Watch where you're going!" An older man shouted from behind when I accidentally knocked his suitcase down.

"Sorry sir!" I called out to him but didn't bother stopping, I couldn't afford to lose any more time. The traffic coming into the airport was bad enough as it was, stopping for something as minuscule as this could be detrimental. "Shit." I said under my breath when I took a quick glance at my watch.

Two minutes. I can make it.

"Excuse me!" I urgently weaved around the maze of people in front of me, ignoring some of their annoyed looks and sly remarks; I could honestly care less. This was life or death, and nobody was going to get in the way of that.

That may or may not be a slight exaggeration, but still. There is absolutely no way in hell I'm missing this flight. As my eyes search frantically around the terminal, I find my gate to LAX all the way at the end.

...aaaaaand they're closing the doors.

"No wait!" I yelled, waving my plane ticket up in the air like a crazy person. "Don't close those doors!" Come on Luna, you didn't spend two years in track for nothing. Put your talents to the test!

I continued screaming and running like an idiot until the flight attendant saw me, and not once did I bother to worry about how sweaty and gross I must look from the marathon I just ran.

"Right on time." I was out of breath, but I still managed to give her a smile as I handed her my plane ticket and photo ID.

"Enjoy your flight to Los Angeles, Ms. Park."

After boarding the plane, I located my window seat and immediately released a sigh of relief when I noticed that I had the row all to myself. Placing my carry-on into the overhead container, I was finally able to sink down into the chair. I pull out my phone to make a quick call.

"Luna?" The sweet tone of my mother eased the anxiety that I was beginning to feel.

"Hi Mom! I'm just calling to let you know that I made it on board." I mindlessly play with a strand of hair as I look out the window, a bittersweet feeling overwhelmingly present.

"Okay honey! I hope you have a safe flight. We miss you already." Her words tugged at my heart, but I did my best not to let it get to me.

"I miss you too." My eyes were beginning to water, but I held them back. This would be the first time that I would ever be separated from my family. And as much as I had wanted this, it still feels weird to know that I'm leaving them behind.

"I'm sorry we couldn't come with you to the airport and send you off, darling. You know how your father is when it comes to his--"

"His job," I finished my mom's sentence with a deep exhale, "I know." Don't need to remind me.