Epilogue

Epilogue

“Mommy, can I stay up just another howa?” a little blonde boy asked, his blue eyes scanning the room. His little bottom lip stuck out at the tall, dark haired woman that hovered over him.

“No, bubby, it’s bedtime,” the woman said, picking up the little boy in her arms. He was only four years old, but it seemed like she’d been with her husband forever.

“Lucia, I’m home!” Mason Harris yelled as the front door closed. The blonde boy jumped from his mother’s arms and ran to his father.

“Daddy!” He yelled, hugging his father’s leg.

After eight years, Mason hadn’t aged much. His face became more adult-like, but his hair and body looked the same. He was much more muscular under his suit and tie. He’d grown even more handsome than he had been before.

“Well, I guess he’s not going to bed anytime soon,” Lucia Harris smirked, looking at their son. She shook her head as she walked towards her husband, kissing his cheek gently. “Welcome home.”

For Lucia, it was different. She now looked exactly like her mother had when she’d met her for the first time, when she was sixteen. Her black hair had grown much longer, touching the middle of her back. She still had a pale complexion in which her son had inherited as well.

Mason smiled at his wife and kissed her lips before playfully tossing the little boy onto the couch and tickling him. Giggles filled the room. “Stop it daddy!” he squealed, squirming around against his father’s hands.

“I’m gonna get you, Davey!” Mason called before ticking the lithe boy some more.

Lucia shook her head and glared at her husband when he was done. “Now he’s riled up. Thank you,” she looked back at the little blonde boy. “David, go get ready for bed, okay?” She smiled lovingly at her son. He’d been a wonderful surprise to the two, since they’d thought she’d never have kids again. Lucia had been the happiest person ever during her pregnancy, surprisingly. She counted the days until she had David, though she had a few extra days of carrying him around. It had always been her dream to have a family. Lucia and Mason still planned to adopt – they had put their application in before David was born, but they hadn’t gotten any response.

“Did you get the mail?” Lucia asked as little David ran off to put his pajamas on. “We’re still waiting on the ‘you-know-what.’” She winked at the man.

“Yeah, here,” Mason said, and then handed Lucia a manila envelope before walking towards their room to get changed.

Lucia eyed the envelope for a moment before her eyes traveled to the corner, which said Heaven’s Adoption Agency. Her heart pounded as she opened the envelope and pulled the papers out. A small picture fluttered from the pile to the ground. Confused, Lucia knelt down and picked it up, turning it over as she read the letter.

Dear Mrs. and Mr. Harris,

We’ve gone through your application and have decided that you’re the perfect candidate to adopt. We’ve seen the age limit and decided to give you our younger girl. Her name is Mia. She was born in Portland, Oregon but ended up here. Please come and fill out your information to make your adoption final.

~Heaven

Tears of joy filled Lucia’s eyes as she flipped through the papers, and then pulled up the little girl’s picture. Her hair was as red as an apple. Though she had to be two or three, her hair was pretty long for her age. Her face was spotted with freckles, along with her arms. She wore a little flowered dress in the picture, as she sat on the ground playing with her teddy bear.

“Mason!” Lucia yelled, feeling the tears pour from her eyes. Mason ran into the room, looking around as if someone had been killed.

“What is it? Are you okay? What happened baby?” He asked, walking over to her.

Lucia wiped her eyes and handed Mason the papers. He looked at them for a moment before grinning that signature smile. He sat down on the couch and flipped through the pages before he looked at the picture. “She’s perfect,” he whispered.

“Mommy, come read book,” David said, sucking his thumb as he walked in. Lucia sighed contently and picked her son up, taking the picture from her husband.

“Look, Davey! This is going to be your sissy. Isn’t she pretty?” Lucia smiled and pointed to the picture.

David grinned and held onto Lucia around her neck as he grabbed the picture. “Sissy? Does dat mean I have to share my woom mommy?” He asked, poking his lip out into a pout.

Lucia laughed softly and spun David around in her arms, kissing him all over as he let out loud giggles. “No, honey, you’ll both have your own rooms!” She smiled and held her son, wondering how great it would be to have Mia in her arms as well. She loved having David with her, but another child would make her life as a house mom so much better. Hopefully they’d have her soon.