Chapter 4

Chapter 4

It was a nice day – that was the first thing that Lucia noticed when she woke up that morning. Sun shined down on her face as she stirred awake. After stretching, she climbed from her bed and opened her bedroom window. A small sigh left her lips as she smelled the fresh morning breeze. She could taste the moistness in the air.

Lucia wondered if it was a good morning for a walk around the block, or down to the park in which she hadn’t been to yet. She soon began to get dressed and ready for the day.

“Good morning,” a thick voice came as Lucia ran her turquoise brush through her dark hair. She looked up to find Vance smiling at her. A grin appeared on her lips.

“Morning, Van,” she replied. Recently, she had started making up nicknames for things and people – even the flowers in her room. She’d read that it was good to talk to your plants.

“Hmm…I like that nickname. I think it suits me,” Vance teased his sister. He kissed her forehead softly. “Any plans for today?” He balanced himself on Lucia’s night stand. They had gotten her a new bed of her choice off of the internet.

Meanwhile, Lucinda was downstairs researching. She was a journalist for the local newspaper – where she’d been working for the past fifteen years. She’d always loved to write and read. Currently, she was reading a novel by Daniel Greene.

“Jon,” Lucinda called, “do you think Lucia would like if we picked up some flowers or seeds?” She wondered. Vance had been telling them many things about her – she wished that she could be the one to talk to others.

Since her daughter had been home she’d said less than ten words to Lucinda. It broke her heart, even though she understood why she wasn’t talking to her. She knew she had to find a way to bond with Lucia.

“She’d like that, I know it, love,” Jon replied, placing a hand on each of his wife’s shoulders. “Vance says she likes the mums. Maybe try some Sunflowers – those are nice.”

Lucinda agreed and left for the store before Lucia came down the stairs. “Morning, kids,” Jon said as he made his way to the kitchen. He took out a large pan. While his wife wrote, Jon cooked. He was a chef at an Italian restaurant. He enjoyed cooking for everyone and anyone.

**

Soon, Lucinda returned home. Lucia, Vance, and Jon sat at the table, eating the omelets that Jon had made them all. It was the most delicious food that Lucia had eaten – then again, she hadn’t really gotten out much until this week. She cringed at the thought.

“Hey Lucia,” Lucinda smiled at her, placing the small bag containing the items she bought onto the counter. Her daughter simply smiled at her. The woman smiled back, though she was frowning inside. She wished that her daughter would talk to her. “So, I got something that we could do together.”

Lucia tilted her head, her black hair falling to the side. She wondered what her mother had gotten – and if she wanted to accept doing anything with her. The truth was, throughout the week, she had only been getting to know Vance. She was only willing to know Vance.

“Well, I was thinking that the front yard needs some color, so I picked up some flower seeds. Do you think you would want to help me plant them and take care of them?” Lucinda smiled at her daughter.

Immediately, at the mention of flowers, Lucia’s eyes brightened. “I’d love to help,” she exclaimed, a large smile on her face. She stood up quickly, even though she hadn’t finished her food. “Can we start now?”

Knowing that she had been right, Lucinda nodded. She gave her son and husband a look that said that they couldn’t help. With that, they descended to the outdoors. The woman had taken all of the packages out of the bags, along with the few plants that she bought already grown.