Chapter 9

Chapter 9

On December first, Lucia woke up with a chill. The cold air rushed from her window, causing her to shiver. She stood up and quickly shut the window roughly. Her skin was cold, as she wore short sleeves and shorts to go with it. She decided that it was best to dress warm for the day to come.

When Lucia turned away from her window, she noticed something and turned right back to where she was. There, on the ground, was snow. Sure, she’d seen it all the time out of the window when she was living with Joshua, but she’d never felt it. Everyone on television told Lucia that it was cold and soft, sort of like a cloud. Was it really like that?

After getting dressed in warm clothes, Lucia ran down the stairs and into the living room. “There’s snow!” She squealed softly. Jon looked up from the paper he’d been hiding behind and nodded.

“Isn’t it dreadful? So cold…”

“So it is cold, right?” Lucia whispered, pressing her hands against the window of the door. “Can I go out? Please?” She smiled at her father.

Jon shook his head. “You’ll end up getting sick, Lucia. Maybe later.”

Lucia frowned and debated whether to just go outside without permission. She decided that it wasn’t the best thing to do and let out a sigh as she went into the kitchen for something to eat. The phone rang and she jumped to answer it. “Hello?” She said.

“Lucia?” Mason’s voice rang in her ears. A blush appeared on Lucia’s cheeks as spoke.

“Hello, Mason. Need something?”

A chuckle left his lips. “Yep, I want to take you sledding today. What do you say?”

Lucia had heard about sledding – you went out in the snow on that thing called a sled and went down a hill. She’d seen many people have fun in the winter time, doing it and she knew that she’d have fun as well. “Yes, I do. What time?”

Lucia knew that Mason was smiling when he spoke again. “Eleven, so get ready now. Bundle up, it’s cold outside!”

**

Lucia pulled on her mom’s winter coat. It was a pale purple, but it was cute in her opinion. Her neck was covered with a matching scarf and her feet with boots. They were comfortable; inside it was furry and soft – she hoped that it would keep her warm, though she was sure that it would.

Throughout the few months, Vance had become more distant and less responsive to Lucia. She hoped that it wasn’t because she was spending so much time with Mason, but she knew that that was probably what was happening. She’d planned to watch a movie with Vance tonight, just the two of them – there was no way that she could afford to lose someone else she loved.

The doorbell rang and Lucia stood up and opened the door. Mason stood there in a black coat and beanie. His blonde hair was snug over the sides of his hat as he walked into the house. “Burr,” Mason exclaimed, “are you ready to freeze?!”

Lucia nodded. “It’s my dream, you know.” She stood up and took Mason’s hand in which he had held out to her.

“Well, I enjoy making your dreams come true,” Mason winked at her and waved at Jon, whom was watching the two of them. “See you later, Mister P!” Then, the two of them walked out the door.

The cold and windy breeze hit Lucia when she walked outside. She shuddered from the sudden cooling and grasped onto Mason’s hand tighter. She’d never been out in the cold, at least not that she could remember. She wanted to dash back into the house and curl up in front of the fire, but she had a feeling that today was going to be fun – just Mason and her.