Chapter Twelve: Ilsurni Castle

Start from the beginning

"But two of them? We were not told that there would be two of them." Mimika stepped behind him as he opened the small viewing gate to the cell. The girl was no more than a rag doll thrown in a corner.

"Damn it! Why is she still unconscious? It's been three days since we brought her. Your energy bolt should not have been that strong." His frustration echoed as he slammed the gate closed.

Mimika hid a sinful smile. "See? She is too weak to even master a Crossing. She's not the one we want. There is no chance she could be more powerful than me."

Fennaris turned on her, grabbed her and pushed her up against the wall forcibly. "You gave her the potion?" His hands wrapped tightly against her neck.

Mimika tried to remain calm; she was used to his fits of temper. "Of course." She playfully slapped his hands away, revealing not a trace of nerves.

"For your sake, you better not be lying to me. If you had anything to do with this, you will pay dearly. There are parts of this labyrinth that even you have not roamed. Remember that." Grudgingly he released her.

"We should forget her and Armindia. We should continue with your plan of conquering the other elvin kingdoms."

He sneered at her. "You're usually not this slow my sorceress." Mimika despised that he saw her as his possession. A fact Fennaris enjoyed exploiting.

"The fastest and best path to the other kingdoms is through Armindia. Not to mention the wealth its mines will bring to the coffers. Armindia must fall first. And that human girl will be the cause."

He left her in the tunnel and stalked out. "Continue to give her the potion, but keep her weak. When she wakes, it does not matter when, find me." He barked the orders without looking back.

It was in the late morning hours when Lily began to stir

It was in the late morning hours when Lily began to stir. She was exhausted and her head throbbed painfully about to burst. With her eyes closed in rest, she tried to lift herself but it was a fruitless effort. Her hands trembled with fatigue as she reached out and touched the walls and floor.

The best she was able to manage was to use the wall behind her to push herself to a semi sitting position. The grainy remains on her palms alerted her to dirt surroundings. It was then she realized something was wrong and memory flashed into clarity.

Aurora was in trouble and needed help, fast. She had followed her without Aurora's knowledge through the alleys. Unable to keep up with Aurora, she had soon lost sight of her.

In the back of her mind, Lily remembered hearing the clashing of metal faintly but had attributed it to the thunder. Then there was ice beneath her and a jolt of pain that came with blinding darkness.

And voices. Male and female voices. It was more of an awareness of people near her than actual comprehension of what they were speaking. Instinctively, she knew she was in danger. Whoever had taken her and placed her here, wherever that was, was not her friend.