Chapter 17(Your Duties or Me?)

"When you're Alpha, there's nothing like late, especially during this time. Sweet dreams Luna." He said and disappeared back into the woods, I went to my room, freshened up and went to bed.

Things have been normal since I got here a month ago. The feeling that something dark was lurking in the shadows patiently waiting for the perfect moment to strike was something I couldn't get rid of. Trying to discuss the induction with Shay was impossible, it was like speaking to a statue as she ignored me saying I needed the training to protect myself as Luna in case of any emergency. The thought of having a sparring mate was on my mind going to bed that night.

A week had passed and everything was normal. Jordan and I were improving; Vince was better and after several attempts to try and convince my mate to agree to him being my sparring mate, and Jordan wouldn't budge. He insisted I needed a female to spar with and assigned to me a warrior named McKenzie. She is strong, tough and hard to beat since our strength level is about the same. Aside from being a sparring mate, she helps me train and teaches me some defense techniques and moves. We get along well though I'm still getting to know her.

I woke up this morning feeling ecstatic because it was my birthday. I turn nineteen today and Lex was helping me throw a party saying the whole pack needed to share this amazing day with their Luna. Jordan was cool with the idea and although he was busy dealing with matters concerning the new breed werewolves terrorizing packs in the south, he gave me his debit card.

We spent the whole day decorating and some females were helping with the food and the making of pastries and deserts. Vince returned from the city with drinks both alcoholic and soft (for the kids). The party was taking place in the pack house's ballroom which I didn't know existed until Vince decided to give me a tour of the whole house.

The house is huge I must say but not more than forty people live in it. The rest owned their own houses but mostly did everything at the pack house, like hanging out, training, and all sorts of other things. I discovered that there is an east wing and a west wing in the house. The people living in the house stay at the east wing; the west wing is where the pack doctor is and is also a place where most of the social events take place. All this while I thought it was just a big mansion with extended hallways.

After all the preparations were ready, I went upstairs to get ready with Lex. I wore a white classic strapless mermaid peplum dress and she wore a vintage nude two-piece midi dress. We did each other's makeup and hair and headed to the ballroom after. The party had started and most of the pack members were there including kids. Never had I felt so much love in my life.

I was with Lexie and Vince the whole time talking and having fun with the people. Louise was looking fabulous and since it was a buffet, she had to do no work and was chatting the night away with her older friends. It has been an hour since we showed up and there is still no sign of Jordan or Ashton. I tried contacting my mate through our mind link but his walls were up.

Louise came and told me it was time to cut the cake, I told her to wait a few minutes for Jordan but he wasn't showing up and neither was Ashton so I had to cut the cake by myself. I was miffed because I wanted to cut the cake with him and share this experience with him. What could be so relevant to him that he had to miss this moment?

Five minutes after he shows up in a navy slim fit dress shirt with his sleeves rolled up. I gulped the rest of the drink in my champagne glass and stomped towards him, "I see you have finally decided to grace us with your presence."

He nodded and pulled a bouquet of red tulips and roses from behind him and said, "Happy birthday sorry I'm late." I smiled blissfully and the anger I felt towards him was slowing evaporating, how thoughtful of him. I love tulips.