Chapter 19 - Support

Start from the beginning

"Hey Ash! So it seems like congratulations are in order? I know I've come across as a bit of a grump at times, but I'm honestly happy for you. It's good to see you've got a reason to smile again. Did you and Jaxon have a good time yesterday? Hope I'll get to see you both again soon. X"

The words warm my heart. I shift myself into typing position and before I know it, my reply comes spilling out of me at full force.

"Hey Chunk, it's so lovely to hear from you!!! Thanks for the congrats, that means a lot. I had a really lovely time yesterday thank you. Went shopping in Northcastle then had a delicious Italian meal for lunch where we made things official EEK!!! It was really perfect. Well, apart from Jaxon forgetting to bring his wallet.... LOL! Such a silly boy. I'll forgive him though...!!! ;) How's everything going in the shop? We should def all meet up as a group soon, would love to see you! Xx"

A few seconds after I hit send, I see little pending dots showing that Chunk is typing a message back straight away. His response pops up before I even have time to change tabs.

"He forgot his wallet?"

Typical. Out of my whole message he chooses to hone in on the one negative thing that happened. I hate to say it, but maybe Chunk isn't as supportive as he's making out after all. I try to keep my cool as I compose my reply back.

"Yeah, what a scatterbrain eh?!! But it was just a mistake, he's going to pay me straight back. Xx"

Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned that part of the day. Actually, why did I write it at all? Before I have time to over-analyse the situation, Chunk's reply flashes up.

"Just make sure he does pay you back. Forgetting his wallet is one of his favourite party tricks. And then conveniently forgetting about paying you back. I've let him get away with murder in the past, don't want to see him do the same to you. Xx"

I stare at the screen for way longer than I probably should. I don't know what I was expecting to read, but it wasn't this. The words don't even make sense to me. I pound my keyboard furiously as I type out an answer.

"What do you mean? I thought you and Jaxon were friends so why would he do that to you?"

Something from yesterday is ringing in my head. Jaxon warned me this might happen. I didn't want to believe it, but I'm getting scared it might actually be true. I take a deep breath, willing to hear Chunk out. Surely he wouldn't lie to me? Not sweet, friendly Chunk who always has my back?

The next message pops up after a long pause.

"We are friends. Don't get me wrong. But sometimes I feel like Jaxon takes advantage of that fact a little bit too much. I'm not trying to cause trouble or anything, I just think you should know what he can be like. I don't think I've ever seen a penny back from all the times I've leant him money. Make sure he doesn't start pulling the same kind of crap on you. I couldn't bear to see him mess you around. Xx"

OK, now I'm getting annoyed. Seriously, Charlie? You're Jaxon's supposed best friend but you're telling tales about him missing a few payments here and there? As if he didn't have enough to deal with right now. Before I can stop myself, I'm jumping to my brand new boyfriend's defence.

"It was a genuine mistake Chunk. Why are you always criticising him? I'm sure he'll make it up to you in other ways if he forgot to pay you back for stuff. That's what friendship is about, isn't it? Give and take. He needs you now more than ever so cut him some slack already."

I know I probably shouldn't get too involved with Chunk and Jaxon's friendship, but how can I sit here and say nothing? Jaxon is having such a hard time right now. His parents have thrown him out, he's got no proper home and I expect anything to do with money is stressing him out big time. He's got no access to online banking and must be paying out for things his parents usually cover. That's why we have to support him. Both of us.