THE VANISHING-ACT SCENE

**THE VANISHING-ACT SCENE**

“What the hell happened to you?”

I freeze in coming into the front door. Damn, I thought everybody would be gone today. I guess I forgot about my sister. “Nothing.”

I guess I do look like a mess; I was crying before, so my eyes are probably all red and a mess. I put on mascara too, so that doesn’t help. I literally ran the whole way here, so I’m sweating a bit and my hair is messy. But none of that matters.

What matters is that I get out of New Jersey without anybody noticing.

My sister narrows her eyes, not buying any of my jack. “You look like you were crying.”

“Well I wasn’t,” I shoot back at her.

She makes an unconvinced noise. “Sure.” She whirls around and disappears into the living room. I sigh and quietly make my way up the stairs, focused on packing my things. I get to my room and shut the door slowly.

And then all hell breaks loose in my room.

I rush over to the closet, pulling out my three suitcases. One for the bathroom stuff, my clothes, and then the last one for random other shit that I brought with me. I move quickly but silently. Nobody knows I’m leaving.

And that’s the way I want to keep it.

By the time I’m on a plane, flying back to California they’ll realize it. They’ll realize I left already. My plane doesn’t leave till 4 in the morning, that way nobody will be awake to see me leave. I can’t see my family’s faces when I leave…I’ll die a little on the inside.

I throw my clothing inside, making sure to leave some pajamas and something to wear for tomorrow out. I slide all my makeup and bathroom things into the other suitcase, along with some other items that I’ll need. My laptop, books, and other stuff goes into a separate suitcase.

I zip them all up, almost everything in my room gone. Besides the bed and the dresser, there’s really nothing left. I lean against my black suitcase, breathing heavily. I squeeze my eyes shut as I try to get myself under control again.

When I finally am able to gain control, I open my eyes. I look blankly over to my dresser. On top, is where my old heart necklace is. Reminding me. Haunting me. Of Scene. How he’ll find out soon about my departure.

But at least I won’t be here to see it.

I’m not sure if I should bring it with me. I didn’t bring it with me last time. Deciding on taking it, I slowly go over there and grasp the necklace in my hands. I run my finger over the chipped paint, it was a cheap piece of jewelry, and just stare at it. I unclasp it and put it around my neck, laying it underneath my shirt. The cool metallic heart burns my skin.

A tear slips down my cheek, and faster than I know it, I’m collapsed onto my bed, falling apart again.