THE CONFESSIONS SCENE

**THE CONFESSIONS SCENE**

“Jake thought of it!” I yell quickly, my cheeks flooding red. “He forced me!”

“Did not,” Jake snorts, taking another sip of his lemonade as he passes through the sports channels. “You agreed when he purposely kissed Angelica in front of you when we went to Wal-Mart that day.”

Scene’s face is unreadable as he snaps his head to me. I stare back with cherries for cheeks. “You went along with that? Willingly?”

“I - ” I glare at him. “You were getting me pissed, I thought I should do the same thing back to you!” Now Scene knows Jake’s my fake boyfriend. Well, actually my fake ex-boyfriend.

“You couldn’t find a guy who actually wanted to date you?” Scene asks after a moment of silence.

Jake snorts again. “I would actually date her in a heartbeat.” Scene’s head whips around to glare murderously at him. “But,” He adds in for his own safety, “you’re my friend, so I wouldn’t do that to you.”

I stand up, stretching. “Good, now that that’s out of the way, I can go home.” I bolt out of the doorway faster than they can blink. I hop down the stairs of the porch, happily on my way home.

But of course, I couldn’t get away that easily.

Scene is next to me in three seconds flat, halting me. He looks deep into my eyes and I freeze instantly. “Why are you always running away from me?”

The question comes in a murmur, and if I didn’t know any better he sounded a tad hurt. “I…” I sigh, eyes glancing to the street. “Sorry.”

After a pause, he clings onto my shoulder. “We need to talk.”

So we get into his car and drive off to his house. As I get inside, I head straight to the kitchen. Nothing bad can happen in the kitchen, right?

He takes a seat at his kitchen table, right next to me. I look down at the floor. “So…you’re over with Angelica?”

“Yeah,” Scene sighs, rubbing his face. “I want to be with someone else.”

And just like that I’m tensing up. “With who?”

“You.”

I’m drowning. He can’t be with me. I’m still extremely pissed at him for what he’s done to me…and he should still be mad at me for what I did to him. “I don’t know about that, Scene.”

He bitterly laughs. “I knew you were going to say that. But it doesn’t make any sense. You go out of your way to make me jealous and then here I am, offering myself to you, and you say no. I don’t get you.”

I run my fingers through my hair. “We just…can’t.” We’ve been friends for so long…and then I was away for all those years. It just doesn’t feel right. There’s a gap between us.