THE BIRTHDAY SCENE

**THE BIRTHDAY SCENE**

“Put it on now, madonn!”

“No!”

“Pia, put that dress on or so help me - ”

“Fine!” I hiss, grabbing the dress and stomping into the bathroom. The party is in an hour and my mother bought me a little something for it. Well, she bought me a dress. The last time I wore a dress was when I was an eight year old in my aunt’s wedding. That was ten freaking years ago.

I grimace at the red dress with black polka dots on it. It looks like it stops at the knees and ties around the neck. The bottom half pretty much flows out left from right. I really, really don’t want to wear this.

Wincing the whole time, I slowly slip on the dress like it’s some type of torture device. My mom curled my hair and practically forced red lipstick onto my lips. I’ve never dressed up for any kind of party. Well, I guess there’s a first time for everything.

“Va fungool, hurry up Pia!”

“I’m comin’, I’m comin’!” I rush out to put on the matching red heels. When the hell do you think I’ve ever worn heels? “Ma, do I have to wear heels?”

“Yes, Pia, they go with your dress.” She’s finishing the last touches of her makeup.  “Ready to go?”

“Not rea-”

“Good, lets go. Go get your sister.”

I walk out of my mother’s room, thankful to get away from her. “Tammy! Tammy, c’mon, we’re leaving.” I enter her room to see her putting her hair up into a bun. “You look hot.”

She sends me a smirk through her mirror. “I try.”

She’s wearing a turquoise, one sleeve dress that goes to her thighs. “Does mom know you’re wearing this?”

She fluffs up her hair. “Not yet.”

I groan when she adds in her blue eye shadow. “Mom says to hurry up.”

“Tell her to calm her horses,” She swats at me.

I whirl around and head downstairs, feeling completely retarded. My brother and Ven are down there, looking dressy too. I scowl. “Why does everybody have to dress up? It’s just a stupid birthday party!”

My brother is wearing black jeans and a maroon dress shirt, looking eerily similar to the cocktail dress Ven has on. “Because Scene’s mom went all out. Least we could do is look nice,” Joey rolls his eyes.

My dad comes in and sits down, also dressed nice. “Are we almost ready?”