f i v e

BRUCE
I was staring up at the ceiling, watching the sun come up. Wasn't much to look forward for other than seeing Britney and Britten's face. Yawning from the sleep that I was lacking, I looked at the time on the clock. It was going on nine o'clock.

About an hour ago, I called around to different OBGYN's to see who would be able to take Tereny in as a walk-in patient. After an unsuccessful process, I called Urgent Care who said they could see her and assign her to a doctor for future visits.

I was gonna wait for her to wake up from her slumber, but she wasn't budging. I was gonna wait until nine-fifteen to get Britney and Britten up and have them dressed. I had even taken it upon myself to see if Mr. Terence and Ms. Ana can watch the kids for us and they agreed.

Despite the shit that was going on within our marriage, I was still trying to show Tereny that I love her and would do anything for her. Hell, I felt like a clown for how I treated her yesterday when she was fresh out of the hospital.

After unsuccessfully trying to get some sleep throughout the night, I had just decided to stop trying and just make sure Tereny was alright. She tossed and turn throughout the night, but at least she had gotten some sleep.

I got up out of bed and walked downstairs to get breakfast started. The least I could do was cook for Tereny.

In between time, I went back upstairs to get the babies dressed so that they could be ready to head out by the time their grandparents got here.

I was hesitant on waking Tereny up simply because I didn't know what to say to her once she was up. Normally, I would know all of the right things to say, but I'm just blank. I hated feeling this way.

As I was bringing the kids downstairs, the doorbell had rang. I looked towards the door as I held Britten up in my arms, watching Britney go down the last step.

I walked to the door and opened it to see that Tereny's mother was standing there. She smiled at me and looked down at Britney, scooping her from the floor.

"How's my baby girl?" She said to Britney who was smiling at her, all dimples. Britney grabbed at her nose, but she pulled back. "If you don't mind, Terence and I are gonna keep them overnight. I think it's a good thing to allow you and your wife to have some alone time now that she's back. Don't you?" She asked me as she put Britney down.

"Sure." Was all that I could say.

"You know, take her out somewhere to keep her mind off of things. I know she's stressed out really bad. I can see it in her eyes. And I am very concerned." The concern showed on her face. I nodded. "I just want to thank you for never leaving her side."

"You don't have to thank me, Ms. Ana. Really." I didn't feel like I was ever by Tereny's side.

"Oh, but I do." Ms. Ana took Britten from my arms. "You have a good time tonight."

"Okay."

I watched as Ms. Ana walked away with the kids and got into the truck. I waved at Mr. Terence and crossed my arms, feeling hopeless. As they backed out of the driveway, I could feel someone standing behind me. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

Closing the door, I looked behind me and saw Tereny staring at me with a blank expression on her face. I looked back at her, wanting to say something. She was probably still feeling some type of way about what happened to her last night. I'm still feeling some type of way about not knowing what Paci had done to her. I knew that I was wrong for be angry, but I was.

"What was my mom doing here?" She asked me. I walked into the kitchen to fix her food.

"Um, she came to get the kids so that we can go to the doctor. I called around and we're going to Urgent Care to check on the baby." I say.