Chapter 4- School

Iris's P.O.V.

"Yes." I hissed. "No." he snapped. Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yes. It went back and forth, almost never ending. Jeff insisted that the girls didn't attend school. Last minute, he came up to me and told me they had to stay home, not explaining why.

"Jeff, it's just preschool. They'll be fine." He was acting stupid. They needed an education. "Iris, I'm trying to protect them." he yelled. "From what?" I asked "From everything! I don't want them hurt at all! I don't want anything to happen to them! Trust me, Iris..." He went silent.

The past few days, he'd been acting strangely. He was especially protective of the girls, and refused to tell me why.

Opal pulled on my shirt. "Are we going to school tomorrow? What's wrong with Daddy?" I picked her up. "You're going to school tomorrow. And I'm not sure what's wrong with Daddy." I rocked her back and forth in my arms.

It was hard to believe that she was already four years old. I remember when she was just a newborn, laying in my arms. It felt strange to stare at her now, being able to walk and talk. Seeing your child begin to grow older fills you with such a pride, yet such a sadness and empty feeling.

It was as if time was taunting me. One minute, they were playing with rattles and sitting in strollers. Now, they were playing with stuffed animals, dolls, and crayons. Soon, they'd move on to make up and nail polish. Then, it'd be boys. After that, it's marriage, college, getting jobs, and soon enough... They didn't need me anymore.

I shook my head. What idiotic thoughts. For now, they still needed me their mother and father. Looking down, I realized I was squeezing the life out of Opal. I placed her down and she took in some deep breaths. "Sorry, Sweetie." I kissed her forehead. I watched as she ran off to play with Jazz. Besides their hair and eyes, they were nearly identical. It was funny to look at.

Jazz's dark brown hair was in two braids down her back, while Opal's was flowing free. She didn't like it put up. I suppose she found it to be uncomfortable. However, Jazz loved her hair to be put up in ponytails, pigtails, and braids.

Jeff sat on the chair, his face buried in his hands. "Jeff, they're going tomorrow." He looked up at me. "I... Iris... I won't let them. You'll have to trust me. They can't go. They just can't." His voice sounded frantic.

"I'm not letting you rob them of a decent education and the opportunity to make friends. I'm just not gonna let that happen. Jeff, why are you so worried about this? They'll be fine." Jeff peaked out of his hands and he and I stared at each other. "If you tell me why you don't want them to go, I'll listen. Just tell me." Jeff looked off to the side. "I can't. I... Just can't..." I glared at him.

"Fucking tell me! There's obviously a reason!" I screamed. "I... I was told not to tell you... By Zalgo." I raised my eye brows. "You... Never told me you saw Zalgo." Jeff's eyes stared into mine and he began to tell me the story about how when Jazz and he were attacked by the Rake and Zalgo saved them. "And then, he warned me about something that would happen in the future, and now, I worry about Jazz." I took a deep breath in, then put my face in my hands. "Wow..."

We sat there, silence filling the air. Neither of us could speak. He got up, left the room, and came back. "Sorry... I wanted to check on them." I nodded, understandingly.

"Jeff... I want to know the warning. I'm their mom. I have the right to know." I whispered softly. "... History is supposed to repeat itself. I don't bit of history, though..." I put my hand on his shoulder.

Suddenly, I had an idea. "How about we send them to school, but have Masky, BEN, or someone else pick them up so that they are never alone. They'll be in school for the time in between, so they'll be safe." Jeff thought for a minute. "That could actually work." Jeff nodded. "Alright, I'll let them go to school. We'll still need to take some special precautions, but I give them my permission."