Chapter 27

My powers had slowly started to come back after a while. I decided to try and contact Ryan, but I wasn't getting anything but a headache. I gave up after maybe an hour and that's when the doubt started to settle in.

Maybe Ryan and them weren't coming. We already caused a bit of trouble. Maybe they were happy that we were finally out of their hair.

One of Dr. Forman's men came and dragged me to what I called the 'main tent.' Dr. Forman was waiting for me inside.

"Hello Reagan." He said when I walked in.

"I thought you said my name was A-36971." I said.

"Reagan is easier to say and only the prototypes get the identification number. You are no longer a prototype. Anyway, that's not why we are gathered here today."

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. "Then way are we here?" I asked. I don't really know where that bravery came form. But for some odd reason, Dr. Forman didn't scare me anymore.

"To talk about your position in my army. The general is a very high honor. Especially for you when you were only supposed to be a prototype."

"I don't want to be in your stupid army," I said coldly.

"I figure you would say that. So how about I sweeten the deal? You be my army general and I keep your little friends out there alive. Deal?"

I surprised myself to when I stopped any thought about it. They were my friends and I would do anything to keep them safe and sound. But did they want to keep living? They were weak and only seemed to be getting worse. And I highly doubted Dr. Forman would give them their powers back.

"I'm waiting," he said impatiently.

"You told me I had time to think about this position." I shot.

"I know but time is running short."

"What do you mean?"

"Your... other friends are getting closer and we need to be at the Compound before they get here."

"How long till they're here?"

"Two days at least."

I bit my lip, thinking. If I could stall long enough for Ryan and them to get here, we could all get out of here safely.

"Give me a day to think. No more, no less."

The gears were turning in Dr. Forman's head. "Fine." He spat. "One day." He held up a finger. "No more, no less. I'll see you tomorrow Reagan."