Chapter 2

During breakfast, Dr. Forman and the new people came in. Dr. Forman clapped to get everyone's attention. Not that it was hard. The new people caught everyone's attention as soon as they walked through the door.

"Hello everyone!" Dr. Forman unnaturally chirped. "You're probably very curious as to who these people are. Well they are a part of the crew on the spaceship Galaxy. They'll be staying for a couple of days. I hope you can all behave for our guest."

He got silence as an answer.

"Good. As you were," he told us. "I suppose you can introduce yourselves," he directed at the Galaxy crew, but it was still heard throughout the cafeteria. No one ever spoke.

Ever.

The crew nodded and Dr. Forman left on 'important business.'

My food was long forgotten as the one I 'talked' to came up to me. The rest of the crew was confused and wondering what he was doing.

'Stop,' I spoke/thought.

He stopped, confused.

'If you come up to me specifically when I'm all the way in the back of the room they'll know somethings up. Go to some other people first, then me.'

He nodded slightly, then turned his attention to B-87952, a young girl. The youngest here in the Compound. His crew followed, still confused.

After going to about five people, the guy (who I found out is Ryan Waters, the captain of the Galaxy) came up to me.

"Hi, I'm Ryan Waters, the captain of the Galaxy. These people are my pilot, Doctor, engineer, and first officer.

Doctor- Johnny Lawrence.

Engineer- Simon Norris.

First officer (also weapon specialist)- Ty Tanner.

Pilot- Harriet Conway.

'Nice to meet you all.' Everyone jumped. They were not expecting that. 'Sorry.'

"That's fine," Harriet Conway said.

"What's your name?" Simon Norris asked.

'Name? What is a name?' I asked.

"It's how people identify you," Ty Tanner said.

'You mean my identification number?'

"Umm, sure," Johnny Lawrence said unsure.

'A-36971.'

"A-36971?" Simon Norris asked.

' Yes. Didn't you all have identification numbers when you were young?'

"No," Ryan Waters said abruptly. "But that's besides the point. When did your thing, you asked me for help. Help you with what?"
'Dr. Forman.'

What abo-" Johnny Lawrence started to say, but one of Dr. Forman's helpers, Jake Conan, came up to us.

"Making friends are we?" He smiled, but you could tell it was forced.

"They don't talk much do they?" Ryan Waters asked, covering for me.

"Yeah." Jake Conan agreed. He directed his attention to me and said, "Dr. Forman would like to see you."

I stood up, grabbed my tray, and headed out. But before I left, I told Ryan Waters and his crew, ''We'll talk later.'

And with that, I was gone.

Dr. Forman was in his office, waiting with an irritated face. "I hope you're not talking to those idiots," he said. "Telling them what happens and what not, I bet you are. I just finally made a breakthrough. I'm not losing you or anyone else."

I started back. I didn't trust him enough to 'talk' to him. He stared back, anger written on his face.

He wanted me to leave, but never got the chance to ask me. His thoughts said it all. I heard him shout at the guards outside his door that I was on lockdown until the Galaxy crew left.

I was escorted back to my room and I had guards standing outside my room. Dinner was brought to my room and I had to be followed if I had to go to the bathroom. I never saw the Galaxy crew and I was growing restless.

It had been two days. They would be leaving soon. I had no way of taking them.
Or maybe I did.

'Ryan Waters can you hear me?' I tried for what felt like the hundredth time. 'Ryan Waters can yo-'

'Hello? Am I going insane?'

'Ryan Waters?! You can hear me?'

'Yeah. So you can do long distance now?'

'I guess.'

'Where have you been? You haven't been at meals.'

'I'm on lockdown for talking to you.'

'Sorry. So... what about Dr. Forman?'

I told him everything. How we got new children every month. How we don't know anything about where we are, beside the Compound. How everyday, for as long as we can remember, we are put through hours of torture in order to get Dr. Forman's dream end result. Ryan Waters was very interested in what Dr. Forman wanted as an end result.

'Mutants.'

'Really? I can tell he has succeeded. Since, you know, we're on opposite sides of the Compound and we're talking telepathically.'

'Yeah. So can you help us get out?'

'I'll see what I can do.'