Chapter 22

No one spoke. Ryan was shouting in his mind, asking me what was happening. Jake and Dr. Forman turned around and started up the shuttle. Ryan was getting more frantic every passing second.

"You kids might want to sit," Jake said. "The ride is kinda bumpy."

The shuttle started to lift off the ground. People outside were running out of the room before the huge door opened. The last person, who happened to be Ryan, made it out of the room right in time before the door opened.

The shuttle started to move forward out into space. Once the shuttle made it all the way out, the door to the Galaxy started to close.

Right before the door closed, I locked into Ryan's mind in the chaos and finally answered him.

'Forman.'

The shuttle shot forward towards the planet. I fell back because I had not sat down. I hit my head in the metal wall and my vision went black for a second. I put my hand to the back of my head and when I pulled it back, it came back sticky with blood. I groaned and made my way to the closest seat. I fell into the seat next to Claire, who was hugging her legs to her chest, whimpering. I put my hand on her's and she threw her arms around my neck. I hugged her back.

"I'm scared," she said.

"I know," I said. "We all are. But Ryan and all them are going to get us out of this mess.

"Promise?"

"Promise. You'll even get to see Earth." By then all the kids were listening. "And we will be safe where no one can hurt us."

"Promise?" Alexander asked. The rest of the kids look at me, hopeful.

"Promise," I said.

"Aww, this is so touching." Dr. Forman said, turning around. "You make my heart swell up." He gave us a smile. "Now, how about we play a game of shut up." His demeanor turned cold. "You're all going to die. No one is seeing Earth. Ever."

"Why not?" Emilee asked, trying to sound brave, but her voice shook.

"Because you're my experiments. Experiments don't get to see the light of day unless it's the finished product. And you kids, are noting more than the prototypes."