Chapter 23

"Prototypes?" Mason asked. "Prototypes for what?"

"Oh, that would ruin the surprise," Dr. Forman said.

"What surprise?" Asked Claire.

"You kids ask too many questions." Jake snapped.

Dr. Forman nodded, agreeing with Jake. "And they're asking all the wrong questions." He added.

"Then what are the right ones?" I fired, sounding braver than I felt.

"Another wrong question." Dr. Forman pointed at me. "The right ones consist of what am I going to do with you? Or, what is going to happen to you? To answer those questions, I'm going to take your powers and then I'm going to kill you." We all gasped. "What you didn't think I could take your powers. Why do you think I kept you alive? Even with your trackers and nerve stimulators in you gone, I still could have pushed a button and fried your brains."

Our hands shot to our heads. Dr. Forman let out an evil laugh. He turned back around and added, "Those also have trackers built into them."

"How did you even get on the ship?" I asked, wanting to change the subject before he had any ideas.

"Jake knows how to use the transporter." He sneered. "'But Dr. Forman, someone would have seen you and Jake in the transporter room.'" He imitated. "Ah yes, they would have, but not if you went after hours."

"Sir," Jake directed at Dr. Forman. "We will be landing in approximately five minutes."

"Good. It's stuffy in here." Dr. Forman said Turing back around.

No one spoke for the rest of the ride. We only exchanged nervous glances. I hoped Ryan could find us.

Once we landed, the doors opened and more of Dr. Forman's helpers flocked in. They grabbed out arms and dragged us out of the shuttle. We were struggling to get out of their grips but they were too strong.

"If they fight, break something." Dr. Forman ordered. That got us to stop fighting.

I looked at out surrounding. It was a place on the planet we had not been to. I could tell it was near the mountains. Actually, it was right next to the mountains. We were surrounded by a dense forest. The tall trees blocked out the sky.

It also seemed the Dr. Forman and his men set up camp on the planet. There were computers, wires, tents, even a fire in the middle of the camp. I looked as though they had been there for a while.

They men holding us grabbed us over to the mountain side and put chains on out wrist and ankles. The chains were stuck into the mountain side. They had been there for a while. The men shoved us down to the ground and walked away. They didn't even leave a guard.

We exchanged looks. There was really no way of escape.

"Maybe you could get the key." Emilee suggested. "With your powers."

I shook my head. "They would notice if the keys went missing."

I leaned back against the mountain. They were a lot bigger up close. Maybe a couple hundred thousand feet tall. I sighed and looked out over the camp.

So this is where you are going to die, huh Reagan? I thought to myself.

Pitiful.

I brought my knees us to my chest and hugged them close. I thought about crying at that moment, but I didn't. I had to stay strong for the others. That was the deal I made with myself.

I'll stay strong, so they don't have to.

The silent agreement. Never to be spoken.

Forever silent.

An hour passed.

Then two.

Then six.

The a full day.

They didn't feed us. They didn't pay is any mind.

We were just the ghost in the background.