07 || Making Preparations

Your POV:

You awoke early the next morning and put on a loose top and shorts. After tying up your hair, you ventured out of your room to go to breakfast. It was very early and everyone was still snoring softly in their hammocks; except you, Minho, Alby, Thomas and Frypan.

Evidently, Newt had just shown Thomas the little window where the Greenies got their first, and hopefully last, glimpse of the Grievers. Turning you gaze back to the gently swinging hammocks, you saw Newt settling back into his own bed for a few more hours sleep.

Thomas, however, was trudging over to you. "Hey!" He greeted and you smiled pleasantly in reply.

"Newt's just shown you the Grievers hasn't he?" Thomas nodded and grimaced as he recalled its repulsive, slimy body.

"I'm heading over to get breakfast, you coming?" You invited as you strode in the direction of the Kitchens. Thomas ran to catch up and you traipsed along in silence.

~~~

A steaming, thick looking porridge awaited you from Frypan and you joined Alby and Minho on a nearby table.

"Ready to go?" Smirked Minho

"When am I not?" You returned the smirk.

Alby interjected your challenges. "Doors open in half and hour; better get ready." In acknowledgment, you nodded your head.

The feeling of excitement, mixed with a faint hint of apprehension, was building as you pictured what you could discover today. Maybe, just maybe, this was the key to escaping and you wouldn't miss it for the world.

~~~

Breakfast finished, you filled your Runners' backpack with the food which Frypan had also prepared for you and some water. Bursting with excitement and curiosity, you bounced over to the stone Doors which loomed high above you.

Like any sensible Runner, you needed to warm up before heading out for a full days run. Minho and Alby mimicked your actions as you all waited, somewhat impatiently, for the Doors to open.

Thomas watched wistfully as you prepared to leave. You shook your head at the Greenie — being a Runner was hard but it is also the most vital part of life in the Glade. It was you job to bring back hope each and every day. Recently, it had become much harder to bring any inkling of good news, for you had ran each passage and found nothing. Today could change that.

~~~

Finally, with a noise like thunder, the stone walls rumbled outwards to reveal the familiar passage of the Maze.

"See you later then I guess." You waved to Thomas as you turned to the now open Doors.

The Greenie wasn't looking over at you, instead he was peering down the corridor with wide eyes as he replied, "Yeah, see you." With that, the three of you turned and headed into the Maze.

~~~

Sorry it was so short, the next one will be longer!

Please vote, comment and follow.

Thanks,
~Hellz-Yeah