32 || A Slim Chance

Your POV:

The five of you clustered around the table in the Weapons Room, the Maps spread out before you. "We need some sort of a pattern. Anything that could be a code," Thomas directed the group.

Then, it began. For hours you pored silently over these sheets which you had worked on hundreds of times before in the past two years. Now, it would seem, yours and the other Runners hard work had not gone to waste. There had to be answers in there somewhere.

~~~

Nothing. There seemed to be no trace of a code in any of the paper or models that had been carefully constructed in the hope that it could be used to help you escape.

Night was almost upon you and, with the Doors still open, it seemed there was nothing you could do to prevent the coming of the Grievers.

As if the mere thought had summoned them, an all too familiar sound suddenly came from the darkness outside. Everyone had gathered in the Homestead — but after last night, no one held too much hope for the protection it offered.

Thomas stood beside you and Teresa, opposite Minho and Newt. He seemed to be in deep thought about something; you had the feeling it wasn't good. "I have to remember. . ." The dark haired boy whispered.

Everyone turned to look at him, confused, before he continued, "I need to know. . . We're missing something and there's only way to recover lost memories down here."

You were right. That wasn't just 'not good'. That was the worst shucking plan you had ever heard. Apparently Minho thought the same. "Are you shucking insane?"

As it turns out, yes he was.

Without giving anyone a chance to act, the boy hurtled outside. Everyone bolted after him but skidded to a halt at the entrance.

Towering above the structure, was a Griever. It's monstrous face was fixed on the boy before him, slime oozing down off its body. Thomas waved his arms above his head, trying to aggravate it. His plan worked.

So fast you almost missed it, a stinger stabbed through his stomach and then came back out again. You and the other Gladers looked on in horror as the scene unfolded. Everyone was sure he was about to be dragged back into the Maze, never to be seem again.

With a roar like thunder, the Griever turned its ugly back on its prey and ran back inside the stone walls of the Maze.

The Gladers all ran out, yelling for Thomas. You and Minho got there first, followed by Newt and Teresa. "What the shuck was that?" You yelled in panic. His eyes were beginning to close but he whispered out one last sentence, "I had to do it. . ." Then he slumped to the side, unconscious.

Jeff and Clint joined the scene with their medical supplies and they carried Thomas off towards the Med-jack hut. Newt went to follow but you held out an arm to stop him. "I know there's nothing more we want to do than go and see how he is but he'd want us to carry on looking at the Maps."

So, for the sake of all the Gladers' lives, the three of you regretfully turned away from your friend and towards the weapons room.

~~~

Studying the Maps intently, suddenly you had an idea. It was a long shot, but it was the only plan you had. "The sequence. . ." You whispered under your breath but then spoke louder, "The sequence! The sequence that the sections open in."

Minho turned to you, a glint of hope flickering in his dark eyes. "The sequence. . ." He breathed, "That has to be it!"

"What is it again?" You asked, running your finger down the page you held in your hand. "Seven, one, five, two, six, four, eight and three."

"We only have one shot at this; we have to be certain that's the code," Newt said, worriedly, "If we get down there and that's not it, they'll be no turning back."

Minho grimaced, "I say we go for it. It's a risky plan, but it's the only one we have."

~~~

I decided to use the film version of the Maze code because I've mostly been following the plot of the book for a while and I wanted to change it a bit!

GUYS, 33K READS AND 1.5K VOTES THIS IS INSANE. I LOVE YOU ALL!

Hope you enjoyed.

Please vote, comment and follow.

Thanks,
~Hellz-Yeah