Chapter Twenty Seven.

Walking from the cottage, they didn’t turn back. The children were still alive, but their kidnapper was not. 

They were all fully turned Alchemists with dark magic. But without a full set of nine, they couldn’t unleash their fate on the world. 

Hunter tapped a beautiful car, one Sera loved. Her 1967 Chevvy Impala. 

She grinned like a giddy school girl as Jason stepped out of it, instantly she wrapped her arms around him and kissed him, like it was the last time they would ever see each other. 

She stopped and rested in the crook of his neck, before he screamed, “What’s he doing here?”

She pressed her hands to his cheeks, “He’s on our side.” 

“That’s a lie, he was working alongside her.” 

“I know, but so was I.” 

“No,” He said, “I refuse to believe that’s true.” 

Casey knocked the window, “Guys, we have to go.” 

She sighed and got into the back with Jason, Casey and her baby sister Autumn, who sat in her lap. Hunter and Ethan took the front. 

“So, what are we going to do now?” He asked. 

Jason growled, “Dunno.” 

“They’re still alive.”

“What?” Jason and Casey asked at the same time. 

Sera turned to her, “How come you’re here, not that I don’t appreciate your help, it’s just- why?” 

“Simple,” she said with a grin, “I babysit Autumn for your parents.” 

Sera smiled, “And she found me?” 

Casey nodded, “Yes, and oh, your parents are worried, they want to see you right away, they say it’s important.” 

“It’s always important with those two.” 

“Three.” Autumn piped up. 

Sera gaped, “You smart kid.” 

“She’s brilliant, I mean, Einstein has nothing on her.” 

Sera ruffled her hair, “Can you teach me Algebra, because I’m always stuck on that?” 

Amazingly, Autumn nodded. 

Sera gasped, “You are brilliant!” 

“Guys!” Hunter yelled, clearing the car of childish laugher as he drove down the highway. 

“What?” Sera giggled. 

“You need to focus for one minute, those children are still alive which means they’ll come after you, and most likely Autumn, and your parents.” 

“Then we get my parents.” 

“I’m coming too!” Casey yelled, Sera couldn’t help but smile. 

“That’s probably not such a good idea” 

“It’s good she come.” Jason said, kissing Sera’s cheek, “She has a few quirks.” 

“Quirks?” 

Casey smiled and nodded, “Yes, I can read and write nine different languages, oh and I’m great at computers.” 

“You’re smart.” 

She nodded, “So is your sis.” 

Sera smiled at Autumn, “OK, so Casey stays.” 

He doesn’t” Jason snapped. 

Ethan glared, “No, I do stay, thanks.” 

“No, you don’t!” 

“Whoa!” Casey said, waving her arms, “Testosterone, filling the air here, boys.” 

“Agreed.” Sera said with a grin. 

“OK, but he’s not staying.”  Jason nodded. 

“He has to,” Sera agreed. 

“Why?” 

“Because he has dark magic, like me. He’s strong, and we need him.”

“Why do you trust him?” 

“Because he saved me.” 

Jason blinked, “Saved you?” 

“Yeah,” Ethan blinked and rubbed the back of his neck. 

“There’s something else, isn’t there?” Jason said, staring straight at the seat’s back before him. 

“No,” “Yes,” Ethan and Sera replied at the same time. 

“What is it?”

“I was taken early January, I know what’s going on with Gina and her gang,” 

“Gina?” Sera asked. 

“Your mother.”

“She’s not my mum!” 

“Sorry, the lady who kidnapped you.” Ethan said quickly. 

“It’s not just the world she wants to destroy, there are select people she wants to kill.” 

“What about them?” Casey asked, rubbing Autumn’s head, and making her eyes flutter. 

“They’re not people, they’re different,”

“Which means we have to save them, don’t we?” Sera asked with a sigh. 

“Well, yeah.” 

“Who are they?” Hunter’s business like voice said quickly. 

“She didn’t say names, just numbers.” 

“Numbers?” 

“67, 73, 98, 23, 32, 63 and 91.” 

“What do they mean?”

“I don’t know.” Ethan said, “She wouldn’t tell us, she just told us that.” 

“It’s a start.”

“A crappy start,” Casey said with a grin. 

“Doesn’t matter, we have people to find.” 

“Did she tell you anything else?” Hunter asked. 

“One more thing.”

“What?” Casey said with a smile, Sera grinned at her. No more boring babysitting for her. 

“It turns out, they all have special skills, but they’re nothing more then human.”

“Humans with special skills, like Casey?” Sera asked, Casey grinned. 

“Oh, am I special?” 

“If it makes you feel better, sure.” 

The car lurched to a stop. 

“What’s going on?” Jason asked, leaning forward to see through the window, but it was fogged up. 

Then, in the middle of the windscreen, a leather gloved finger pressed against the fog, and made a simple symbol. 

A wave. 

Sera yelped, and Casey threatened to scream, but Autumn covered her mouth. 

Then the hand rubbed out a small section of the fog, and a note slammed down on the windscreen. 

You can’t escape us.