▶ 73'

Sera wrapped her hands around the steering wheel, and she felt complete. Her new car shone like it had sunlight embedded under the paint, her hands were shaking from how nervous she was, what is she crashed it?

Just thinking of her baby in a mashed up heap almost made her cry. 

She parked the car in the driveway of her seaside home and instantly wondered about the paint, water and rust. She decided covering the car was a good way of preventing rust. 

After covering her newfound obsession, she walked to the front of the house and felt her ‘other half’ close to the door... Autumn waddled towards the door and grabbed her big sister’s leg. Sera reached down and picked her up, Autumn grabbed a handful of Sera’s hair and drooled against her shoulder. 

“Hello beautiful,” Sera’s dad said, taking Autumn and listening to her gurgle in disgust, then she started to cry, “Okay, honey, go back to Sera. She’s prettier then me anyway, I understand.” Even when Sera had grabbed Autumn and she’d stopped crying, John continued, “I mean, I know why you love your mother. Your mother is beautiful and talented and she’s got that calming heart beat, and she’s your mother, so I know the connection. Then I get your sister, she’s almost a carbon copy of Emile. I get that, but why don’t you love me? I’m a lovable guy! Your mother loves me. So you should too. That’s it. You’re not getting any food until you tell me how much you love me. You can say my name, or you know, proclaim your ever dying love for me, your father...I helped create you, you know? 

“Dad, she’s asleep.” 

“Oh, that-that’s OK. That counts. Sleeping when I speak. Does that mean I’m soothing, in a way? Am I soothing, baby?” 

“Depends, will you be soothing if I tell you something?” 

He gaped, “Are you pregnant, if you are, your mother and I know a really good doctor-” 

“Dad, I’m not pregnant!”

“Oh, I really wanted a granddaughter.” 

“Dad! No!”  

“Then what is it? Something bad, honey? Did you get you know, a detention? Oh, yes, you’re also late.” He tapped her nose, “That’s naughty, you naughty girl, you.” 

“Dad, I got a new car.”

“What about the Shelby GT? You loved that car.” 

Sera fished an envelope from her pocket and handed the money to him, “I sold it, this is the leftover cash.” 

His bottom lip trembled, “You sold my Shelby?” 

“Dad, honestly. I wasn’t thinking. I know you wouldn’t give me the money. And this car, it’s- incredible.” 

John crossed his arms, “It’s OK, baby. Keep the money, if you love this car so much, then don’t worry about it.” 

Sera awkwardly hugged him, Autumn gurgled and she pulled back, “Dad, do you want to see it?” 

He nodded. Carrying Autumn out to the car, Sera took the cover off. Her father gasped. 

“Wow, Sera. It’s beautiful.” 

“I know,” Autumn snuggled into Sera’s chest. Softly snoring, she was so cute, “Don’t tell mum?”

He smiled and nodded, “Promise.”  

At dinner, Autumn insisted that sitting next her mother would be better than sitting next to John. John grabbed Emile’s hand and smiled sweetly, “How come your daughter doesn’t love me, Millie?”