Surprise

Once I was sure that Kyle was gone, I decided it was time to investigate. Kyle was already gone for twenty minutes before I got the courage to move off the couch. He wasn't lying when he said that escaping would be difficult. Most of the windows were boarded up, the front door was locked and judging by the humming noise, I knew the back door had one of Kyle's shockers hooked up to it. I wasn't sure if there were any small windows in the basement that could be a possible escape route. I'd have to make a mental note to check for windows next time I was down there. 

           I wish Kyle would let me go check on her. Last time I saw her, she was in rough shape. I wanted to take her down some food and water. Maybe since I behaved myself, Kyle would let me see her when he got back. I headed back to my bedroom where I started to look through the dresser drawers. All I found was Kyle's clothes and a few extra outfits for me.

           I literally found nothing useful in this house. Even the knives in the kitchen were locked away. There was no way to communicate to the outside world. Not wanting to watch TV anymore, I decided to take a shower and go to bed. Once I was in one of Kyle's large t-shirts and a pair of my running shorts that I had found in the dresser, I climbed into bed. My hair was still wet from the shower as it drenched my pillow. I glanced at the clock and it was a little after 8 o'clock. As soon as I felt my eyes close and my body drift to sleep, I was awakened by someone calling my name.

           "Kelly." The voice shouted again and I knew it was Kyle.

             I didn't even bother getting up, knowing that he would eventually make his way back here. What was the harm in him sweating it out for a few minutes? I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep so he wouldn't get mad at me for ignoring him. The bedroom flung open and the light from the hallway flooded into the room. I sat up as Kyle walked into the room, leaving the wide open.

          "Did you not hear me calling for you?" He asked, staring down at me.

          "No, I was sleeping." I lied.

           His facial features softened as he sat down on the bed next to me.

          "God, you nearly gave me a heart attack." He chuckled.

          "I told you that you didn't need to worry about me." I said.

           "Thank you for behaving. Tomorrow I have a surprise for you." He said, kissing my forehead.

          "A surprise?" I asked.

           I always have hated surprises, even when my parents threw me a surprise birthday party when I was five. Everyone jumped out and yelled happy birthday and I started crying. I didn't like the thought of not knowing what someone else was planning. I knew a surprise from Kyle could never be good. What exactly did he have planned?

         "Yes, you do know what a surprise is, right?" He chuckled.

         "Yeah I know what it is, I just hate surprises." I admitted.

             Maybe he would just tell me if he knew I hated them so much. How would I be able to sleep tonight if he didn't tell me what it is? I'd be thinking about it all night. I didn't want to beg but I really needed to know.

         "Well, you'll just have to wait." He said, walking over to his dresser and pulling out a pair of sweatpants.

         "Come on, please tell me." I begged, giving him the best puppy dog eyes that I could.

           "If I told you then it wouldn't be a surprise." He replied.

            Before I could reply, he took off his shirt and pulled down his jeans, leaving him only in his boxers. I quickly turned away, not want to see him practically naked. Ethan was my first boyfriend was I wasn't used to the idea of a man barely clothed in front of me. Kyle started to laugh softly before he said, "No need to be embarrassed, Sweetie."