Gone

It was around three-thirty in the morning when my body decided it wanted to wake up. An extreme amount of guilt consumed me when I remember my last conversation with Ethan. Sure, I may have overreacted but under these circumstances, I think I have every right to be on edge. Ethan was probably sleeping right now but I decided to text him anyway apologizing for how acted and making sure he knew that I loved him and would like for him to come back over tomorrow. I was stupid and could admit that.

                There was a text from my aunt that said, "I'm sorry honey, your uncle and I had a little too much to drink so we decided to crash at our friend's house. If you need us, we will be home right away. Sorry for leaving you alone but Dole will be there if you need him. Love you."

            I sent her a text, even though she was probably already asleep, that said,"It's fine. I'll see you in the morning. Love you."

              After I sent the text, I went to the bathroom and sat back down on my bed. I wasn't even tired anymore and just stared up at my ceiling contemplating what to do. Even if I wanted to I'd probably not be able to fall back asleep. I realized I was in the same clothes from yesterday but didn't care enough to change out of them. I decided to pull out a book and start to read. It had been a while since I'd had the time to read a book and I really needed something to distract me. I wasn't even ten minutes into reading when a scream echoed through the silent house. My body jerked in response, my book falling to the floor.

             I stumbled out of bed, my heart pounding a mile a minute. I wanted to be overreacting and think of another explanation for the scream. I knew it was Dole screaming since he was the only one home at the moment. Maybe he saw a spider and freaked out? No, that's stupid, a tough police officer wouldn't scream at a tiny spider. Then my mind went to the worst and most obvious choice. Kyle was here for me.

              Past memories flooded into my memory. I've tried so hard to forget what had happened to me and now there was a chance it could happen all over again. Why couldn't Kyle just leave me alone? I shook my head intensely, trying to get myself to focus. Footsteps creaked up the stairs, letting me know that I had no time to call for help. I needed Robbins right now but sadly before she could get here, it would be too late. I prayed that it was Dole walking up the stairs to let me know that it was a false alarm and that everything was okay. I knew that was unlikely.

             Another stupid choice made by me was to hide in the closet. How cliche, I know but I had zero time to think of a better hiding place. I pushed myself into the back of the closet behind all of my clothes that were hanging down. My bedroom door flung open, slamming the door into the wall. I was holding my breath without even realizing it. I clenched my teeth tightly together and covered both of my hands over my mouth to keep myself from making a noise. I couldn't believe that this was happening again. Maybe it was all a sick nightmare my mind created. Where was Officer Dole? What if Kyle killed him? Tears threatened my eyes as I assumed the worst.

            My body began to tremble as the intruder started to search my room. The closet door was slightly opened, allowing me to see a shadow of a man. I closed my eyes tightly shut, refusing to look at the man in my room. It had to be Kyle, who else could it be? If it was anyone else I knew they would have called out for me.

           I couldn't see much of the intruder besides a black silhouette. Then he turned and left the room, not bothering to check the closet. Something was wrong. The man seemed to look everywhere but the closet which seemed like the easiest place to hide. I needed to get out and escape this house before the man decided to come back looking for me. If I kept hiding that would only be delaying the inevitable.