Track Star

I quickly covered my mouth, regretting that I had screamed. Dole and Kyle would probably come now. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I stared at her helpless, destroyed body. I screamed because when she went to talk, I noticed something. Her tongue was missing. Dole had cut out her tongue. He truly was a monster, just as bad as Kyle. How did he become this in a year? She opened her mouth and blood flowed out of it. I realized that this was old blood mixed with fresh blood. What was left of her tongue looked like Dole had burned the end of it to stop the majority of the bleeding.

           "I'm so sorry." I cried, as I held her hand in mine.

           I heard footsteps from the hallway, coming towards the room. I didn't even want to see Dole, knowing what he did to her. She would never talk again. Her face showed that she was terrified of seeing Dole again and her sobs quieted as the door opened. I whirled around to see Dole and Kyle standing in the doorway. Dole had a huge smirk on his face and Kyle actually looked shocked.

           "How could you do this?" I asked, trying to hold back my tears.

            I wondered when I would finally be out of tears because all I've done is cried. I hated it, but I was a teenage girl who shouldn't be in this situation for the second time in a row. I shouldn't be seeing all this death and torture.

            "It was pretty easy actually. Cali here needed to learn not to talk back to me." Dole said stepping into the room with Kyle behind him.

          "Well, now she can't even talk anymore. You're a monster!" I shouted.

             He took a dangerous step towards me and I let go of Cali's hand. I remained in front of Cali, refusing to let him hurt her again. She was already in so much pain to be tortured by him again. It was almost impossible to believe that the Dole I met a year ago turned into this monster. I knew the chance of getting Dole on my side were slim to impossible at this point. I was stuck here with two maniacs.

           "Kelly, I'm going to ask you nicely to get the hell out of my way or I will-"

            I cut him off and snapped, "You will what? Cut off my tongue too? You're insane. I won't let you hurt her again."

           I knew that I had gotten myself into trouble and that I couldn't stop him from hurting her even if I tried but I needed Cali to know that someone tried to fight for her. I couldn't have her giving up hope on me. I wasn't sure how but I'd get both of us out of here before we ended up dead. Dole's eyes were emotionless. There was nothing inside of them. No remorse. No guilt. No anger. Nothing.

          I yelped as Dole grabbed me by the hair and yanked me to the ground. He got extremely close to my face and spat, "If you haven't realized it by now, I can do whatever the hell I want. So if I want to cut your tongue off or hurt you, I will. Never talk to me like that again or you will be hurting much worse than me pulling your hair."

          He pulled me back up to my feet by my hair and pushed me over to Kyle who caught me around the waist and held me in place. I tried to struggle but he held me tightly against him. My scalp was throbbing but that was the least of my problems. I needed to get out of here before I ended up like Cali. I focused back on Dole who was glaring at Kyle and me.

          "Kyle, keep your girl under control or I'll have to break your wishes that I don't hurt her." Dole said sternly.

           As Dole approached Cali, I fought Kyle as much as I could but he was stronger than me and my body was still healing. I was a fast runner, not a strong person. I felt Kyle lean to my ear and whisper softly, his lips touching my ear, sending shivers up my spine, "Please stop. I don't want to see you get hurt."