Face to Face

If I had anything to eat, I definitely would have puked. My anxiety levels were through the roof. I waited and waited for Kyle to come in but he never did. Was this some sick game they were playing with me? Making me wait here and suffer was funny at first but after what felt like at least an hour, it was infuriating. I just needed to get this over with. How did Kyle even find this place? I wasn't crying anymore, thankfully, and I hoped there were no signs of tears on my face. I couldn't have them see me cry, even though they were both probably watching me on the surveillance screen in the living area.

          I started to pace the tiny cell, needing to think about something other than Kyle or my failed attempts at escaping or the fact that the man was probably going to kill me. That wasn't about to happen though. I looked down at my clothes which were covered in dirt and my shorts had blood stains on them. Great. I redid my hair because the man had pulled most of it out of the ponytail when he yanked me back into this hellhole.

             Hesitantly, I raised my hand up and touched my cheek to see if it was bleeding. I gasped and yanked my hand away as pain coursed through my face. That was definitely going to be a bruise. A few tears escaped my eyes but I quickly wiped them away. I looked like a hot mess right now. Maybe Kyle wouldn't love me anymore and he would just leave me alone. Very unlikely but a girl could dream, right?

             I was terrified of seeing Kyle again up and personal. I didn't want to hear his voice or feel his touch. Another urge to vomit consumed me but thankfully, there was nothing in me to trigger the action. The door unlocked and I knew it wasn't going to be the man walking in. Part of me hoped it was the man but then again, he probably wanted to kill me so maybe that wasn't a good wish to have. Maybe it was Robbins coming to save me. I laughed to myself, now that was a funny one, something that would most likely never happy. There was no way that I could prepare myself for this.

             It was as if everything was in slow motion as the door swung open. Kyle walked into the room, shutting the door behind him. My mouth felt dry as I stared at the man who ruined my life. I was frozen, unable to move even if I wanted too. I quickly looked down at the ground, not wanting to see his face. I closed my eyes tightly as footsteps echoed the cell. The cell was small so I knew he was getting very close to me.

            Chills climbed up my spine, making my body stiffen. My stomach clenched tightly, this time the urge to puke was overwhelming. I wanted to look up, I really did. At the same time, I couldn't force myself to move my head. Everything about Kyle terrified me which says something because I usually wasn't scared of much. Then I did it, I forced myself to look up.

            I paled. Kyle was a foot or so away from me, staring at me as if he'd never seen me before. He looked exactly the same as he did a year ago. The last time I saw him was in court where they sentenced him to life in prison, funny how well that went. He still had the same chocolate, brown hair that looked recently cut short as he had it before. His icy blue eyes continued to stare at me. I'd never forget those eyes. Those were the eyes that haunted me in my dreams. He did appear to be more physically fit which was unfortunate for me. His muscles were more noticeable through his clothing. In jail, he probably just worked out. I wasn't sure what else they did.

            He was wearing a pair of black jeans and a long black sleeved shirt that highlighted his muscles. Why was he wearing long sleeves in the summer? Why did I even care? It pained me to think that he actually would appear attractive to me if I didn't know who he was. I wanted to scream. Why couldn't he have just stayed in jail? How did he even escape? He just kept staring at me, making me sick. Why wasn't he saying anything? The silence was killing me.

           I bit down on my lip to keep myself from crying out. This was too much, seeing him up close. Gary was right, I couldn't handle this. What happens if anything gets worse? My heart was racing and my hands started to tremble. My breathing was uncontrollable and I swore I was about to have a panic attack. Kyle took another step forward and breathed the word, "Kelly." I wanted to faint right then and there. He grinned slightly as he said my name, making me want to cry. I desperately wanted to get away from him but there was nowhere to go.