Chapter 13

*Josh's brother pictured above*
We ran. Faster and longer than I'd ever imagined I'd be doing in my whole life, a lot longer than I had ever ran in gym class, that was for sure.

We finally stopped running when reached a little village several miles away from my town. We stood in the middle of an empty road. The second we stopped I felt my knees go weak and I knew I was a short jog away from falling over.

"Josh." I breathed harshly, sucking in air as much as I could.

Josh turned around to face me, running a hand quickly through his hair. Walking closer to me Josh took my hand in his and gave me a small smile.

"We've got a little longer to go." His eyes look with mine and I wasn't sure if I was seeing things because I could swear he looked worried.

"Okay." I managed to say, Josh gave me a reassuring kiss before gripping my hand tighter and then starting off on a slow jog. My legs burned as I ran and I was running so slow I was basically walking.

We had reached the centre of the village when Josh turned around to me and said, "We need to go quick here, El."

"I can't." And it was then all of my emotions decided to come flooding in, the exhaustion, the fear, the confusion, all of it. I crumpled to floor and I felt so weak, mentally and physically.

"Eliana..." Josh's voice cracked and it was then I saw clearly how Josh's emotions were reflecting mine. He crouched down so that his head was level with mine, gently caressing my face, we stayed like that for several moments before he stood up.

As he stood he took my hand and lifted me up then looked around. I couldn't tell what time it was, I didn't have a watch and Josh had ditched our phones miles back, but from the way the sun was positioned in the sky I'd say it was midday. We had been on the run for almost twenty four hours.

Josh tugged my hand slightly pulling me over to a car that was parked outside of house. He began inspecting the car looking through the window turning around to face me when he'd finished.

"There's no starting this car without the keys." Josh sighed.

I looked over to the house, it looked like no one was in.

"Maybe try in the house?" I wondered aloud.

"It's risky... " Josh trailed off.

"We're not going to be able to get much further on foot, we have to try." I moved closer to the house opening the front gate and walking towards the door.

"For Gods sake," Josh hurried too catch up with me, "Eliana, wait!"

I stood still and Josh surveyed the outside of the house and then came and stood next to me. "They don't have any alarm system in place and you're right it looks like no one's in."

"So, what do we do now?" I asked.

"Just to be sure." He said as he pressed the door bell. I counted to thirty after bell rang and heard no movement.