Piano Man - Chapter 24

We walked into the bar now that the plan had fallen into place. I held my moms hand and acted like I randomly chose a table guiding us to the back of the bar as close as to the piano as we could get. The lighting was perfect the small white lights strung around the border of the ceiling with candles set out on a few tables.It was all about the mood. My mom needed to be comfortable before we could through something as huge as we were about to onto her without her getting completely scared and running away.

A plan like this was risky since we couldn’t really predict how my mom would react but after Noah had convinced Niall to go along everything basically fell into place. Once Niall was on board with the performance, he managed to get the rest of the boys on board, and he helped us skip a step of Louis and my dad fixing their friendship first which really saved us time that we desperately needed. I had listened over the albums that my dad and his band recorded many times, and they told me which songs were inspired by my mom. The idea of my mom and dad falling in love made me giddy from all the little stories that I heard it sounded like my mom and dad were soul mates and had the cutest relationship possible. I never knew the whole story between them but once they got back together and we all live happily ever after then there will be time for story telling.

There were so many songs to choose from, I searched the albums but none of the songs really caught my eye. I flipped through the disks and sheet music that Niall had given me to look through. I was about to give up and just ask Niall to pick one when I picked up a disk and put in the old player. “What’s this?” I questioned looking to Niall as listened contently.

“That’s a song we were planning on recording before we..uhm..broke up.” he explained.

“It’s beautiful” I exclaimed and smiled to Niall. “It’s like the lyrics were written for the future.” I added thinking about the song more deeply.

“You want this one?” Niall doubled checked my decision.

“If you can”

“It might take us a little longer to put it together since we never performed it before but I promise you we’ll do our best” he smiled.

I sat at the table staring at my mom trying to read her, I could only hope that Niall followed through with his promise of making sure that they had all practised the song to the best of their abilities. I heard them and they sounded amazing there was no doubt about it, I just hoped that nothing went wrong. I knew my dad was nervous, he told me many times. I’m nervous too. To think this might be the only chance my dad has to prove to my mom that he still loves her before she gets married was scary. I didn’t want Kenneth to marry my mom, I wanted my dad too.

The lights dimmed even more and the slow music started to play, and the boys walked out from the back and my dad took a seat at the piano, adding to the melody that was already playing lightly.

“Darcy, what’s happening”? My mom looked at my uncomfortably and went to get up.

“Please just wait till it’s over” I begged as I grabbed her hand tightly and giving her puppy dog eyes. surprisingly enough she sat down and put her attention back on my dad and his band.

Written in these walls are the stories that I can't explain

I leave my heart open but it stays right here empty for days

She told me in the morning she don't feel the same about us in her bones

It seems to me that when I die these words will be written on my stone

And I'll be gone, gone tonight

The ground beneath my feet is open wide

The way that I've been holdin' on too tight

With nothing in between

I watched as they song and moved with the beat and as my dads hand glided so gently across piano and his eyes stared straight  into my mothers.

The story of my life

I take her home

I drive all night to keep her warm

And time... is frozen (the story of, the story of)

The story of my life

I give her hope

I spend her love

Until she's broke

Inside

The story of my life (the story of, the story of)

Written on these walls are the colors that I can't change

Leave my heart open but it stays right here in its cage

I know that in the morning now I see ascending light upon a hill

Although I am broken, my heart is untamed, still

I stared at my mom and tried to read what she was feeling but it was hard. She showed no emotion but couldn’t break eye contact with my dad. That was a good sign right?

And I'll be gone, gone tonight

The fire beneath my feet is burning bright

The way that I've been holdin' on so tight

With nothing in between

The story of my life

I take her home

I drive all night to keep her warm

And time... is frozen (the story of, the story of)

The story of my life

I give her hope

I spend her love

Until she's broke

Inside

The story of my life (the story of, the story of)

And I've been waiting for this time to come around

But baby running after you is like chasing the clouds

The story of my life

I take her home

I drive all night to keep her warm

And time is frozen

The story of my life

I give her hope (give her hope)

I spend her love

Until she's broke (until she's broke inside)

Inside

The story of my life (the story of, the story of)

My dad had gotten up from the piano at the last part and made my way over to my mom, singing directly to her. All the attention in the room was on her, and as the song finished I waited to see her pleased reaction. I was waiting for her to pull my dad into a hug or tell him how much she missed him but instead she picked up her glass of water and dumped it on his head, and then promptly walked out of the bar without looking back.