Piano Man - Chapter 2

I fussed with my hair pulling the frizziness caused from the summer heat back into a ponytail and concealing it with bobby-pins. I wasn’t that type of girl that hair the caressed beautifully down her shoulders, and it always looked perfect. I was the type of girl who had hair, and that’s about it.  I was cursed with hair that seemed to do nothing but fold itself in puffy curls once the humidity hit. Something my grandfather runs in the family, he also said before Robby insisted on cutting his hair very short that he reassemble a poodle who desperately needed a haircut. That was something I love about my grandpa, how honest he was. I think if it wasn’t for my mom he would tell me everything about my dad. I hope one day he does. For now though I was stuck not knowing a thing, and stuck on a boring plane ride with my mom and Robby. Not that I wouldn’t enjoy the time with them but it is the fact that my mom isn’t even staying with us, and the fact that Robby probably won’t be overly enthused that he has to leave his friends.

That’s how Robby and I differed, he would surround himself with people to not have to face the fact that mom doesn’t spend as much time with us anymore, but I would rather spend my time alone so no one else can leave me. It works better for me anyways because then I can work on my singing, which desperately needs some tuning. I’ve taught myself since forever but there is only so much listening to music and Youtube tutorials can do for a girl. Once my hair was as good as it was going to get, I grabbed my suitcase and headed down the stairs where my mom and Robby were awaiting for me. Robby didn’t look overly excited but I could tell from his lack of rude comments that he was just happy to see mom. He use to tell stories about how close him and mom were when he was younger and that she wasn’t always so up tight. They had a special connection and I was the third wheel of the family. Just like I would probably be the third wheel of this summer.  Robby knew ‘Uncle Niall’ and ‘Aunt Shawna’, and just like was always left in the dark of how I could have aunts and uncles if my mom didn’t have any siblings, until now I didn’t even acknowledge the fact that she could have friends.

The bright side was the car ride we got to spend with each other to the airport in which, my mom told us funny stories about when we were little, of course leaving out anything to do with my father. She started to go over the memories of our first flight which was quite the incident. I was probably four years old and Robby was seven, leaving my mom with her hands full in her hectic flight to her first show with her orchestra. Grandpa had wanted to come with but couldn’t because something had come up in his plans. There were simple rules: always hold each others hand and never let anyone touch our bags. That was fairly easy enough for two kids to follow right? Wrong. Robby and I ended up getting distracted by the ‘moving stairs’ and ended up quickly losing my mother as we were taken away by the escalator. Robby never let go of my hand for a second though, as he has always been protective. Our bags were heavy so we ended up leaving them when we got to the top of the escalator and tried to find a way back down to our mom. Which apparently didn’t work out so well. From what I’ve been told by Robby and my mom is that Robby and I wandered around the airport for a good hour, while mom tried to convince customer service to make an announcement that her kids were missing. All the looking for mom made me tired though and the soda I drank on the way to the airport was ready to exit me. I complained and complained to Robby that I needed to go to the bathroom. Eventually he agreed to take me, but we couldn’t find a family restroom and Robby refused to lose me too. So he waltzed in the mens room pulling me by the arm and attempted to teach me how to use a urinal. Robby had lifted me up on the edge and just told me to hurry up and go but I was to nervous to go. I wanted my mom and didn’t want to pee in the mens room. By the time Robby had convinced me to go, my mom had gotten then announcement made and a man in the bathroom told them what he had seen, so in came my mom with airport security to me and Robby high-fiving because I had successfully used the urinal.