Piano Man - Chapter 13

“Darcy are you okay? Please wake up.” I could hear Noah’s voice and feel him lightly shaking my shoulder but I couldn’t get my body to function, after a few minutes it finally agreed to let me open my eyes and roll over, only to see Noah with a worried face. “Thank god, you’re okay!” he exclaimed and offered me a hand to help me get up. I was unsteady but I was also more than ready to get out of here.

“I-I’m fine” I said getting up and taking a deep breath while trying to fight the nausea that was coming over me. “Let’s just go, please” I insisted and hurried towards the door as fast as I could. “Thank you” I acknowledged the man for his time and then slipped out the door.

“I texted my dad and he is meeting us here, so we don’t have to to walk back. He shouldn’t be long now” Noah explained and then sat down on the curb, I slowly sat down beside him resting my tired and throbbing head against him.

“What’s running through your mind?” He asked while  moving  my hair out of my face gently.

“I need to talk to Ed”

“Ed isn’t a murderer” Noah’s voice raised.

“ I know” I replied strictly. “Obviously I can’t trust my mom or that man, so if Ed was the last person to see him alive or knows more about the actual truth, then I want to talk to him. I want someone to be honest with me” I sighed and massaged my temples.

“I’ll be here for you,no matter what happens” Noah explained and then we sat in silent serenity until Niall pulled up next to us.

“What’s with the long faces?” Niall asked. “ I mean Noah was born a little unproportional but that’s no excuse for you Darcy” he chuckled but we both just looked at him not changing our disapointed expressions. “Uh sorry, what’s wrong?” Niall asked clearing his throat and turning to Noah to explain why I wasn’t in a very good mood. I didn’t want to relive what just happened but Niall as my father’s best friend deserves to know.

“The guy wasn’t my dad” I stated. “He was pretending to be my dad because someone was paying him to be” I explained and then looked at the window. Niall looked at my confused but waited patiently for me to continue. I waited till my nerves were calm again and my heart had settled down, the last thing I wanted to do was bawl my eyes out or end up vomiting in the Horan’s vehicle. “The person paying him was my mom and she was paying him because my Harry’s dead” I finally let out.

“What?” Niall asked slamming on the breaks, giving us all whiplash.

“The man said to ask Ed about it” I explained not knowing much more.

“And?” Niall asked.

“And I am, I need to know what happened to my dad, we all do whether it is good news or not” I explained. “I just can’t believe that my mom would pay someone to pretend to be him instead of just telling us. Maybe Robby wouldn’t hate him so much” I explained feeling my lip start to quiver.

“I’ve known your mom for a long time and I know everything she does, she does for a reason” Niall focused on the road. “ But I think she was out of place to lie to you and I think that we should find out the truth. After all we didn’t invite all the boys and their families over to lie to them. We’ll all work together and if you want I’ll go with you to talk to Ed tomorrow when you start your shift” Niall offered.

“I greatly appreciate your offer” I thanked him “But I think this is something I need to do alone”  I explained.

“That’s okay”

“And if we don’t mind, can we stop talking about it for a bit?” I asked. “I-t’s just a tough subject” I added.

“No problem, why don’t you try to sleep for the rest of the drive home?” Niall suggested and I did as he said. I laid my head against the window and slowly drifted off to the sound of Niall’s fingers tapping the steering wheel and Noah humming along to the radio.