Piano Man - Chapter 11

I could feel my lip quiver as my dad said the cruel words to me and the tears ran down my face. I looked at him hoping it was some cruel joke but he showed no emotion. Noah carefully grabbed me and led me out of my dad’s house, well all I could do was look back with my blurred vision wishing my dad would change his mind. Why wouldn’t he want to be part of our lives, what could have we done that was so wrong, for fuck sakes he didn’t even know me! My sadness quickly turned to anger as I kicked the tire to Noah’s truck before getting in and slamming the door behind me.

“ You ready to go home?” Noah asked but I ignored him, and gave him an obvious stare. I didn’t feel like talking, or living for that matter.

“ Darcy...” Noah started at me with sympathy. “It’s going to be okay, maybe-”

“ There’s nothing to talk about” I stated coldly at Noah. It wasn’t Noah’s fault but I couldn’t help but feel like if I hadn’t driven out here with him to meet my dad, then I would still have the hopes of my dad being a great guy but everything I imagined was quite the opposite.  I stared silently out the window wondering what I was going to say to Robby, how was I suppose to tell him he was right that our dad is an ass. I hated admitting defeat and especially about something this near and dear to the heart. I looked to Noah who looked partially upset as while as he focused on the road. “ I’m sorry...I just didn’t expect that” I explained.

“ I know.  I just I wish I could change everything for you. I don’t like seeing you sad” He told me while looking me in the eyes sincerely. “ I wouldn’t have brought you here if I knew he was going to say that” he continued to apologize.

“ Noah, it is fine. At least we all didn’t waste our time looking for someone who doesn’t want to be found, or even meet his daughter for more than five minutes” I added. “ Let’s just get home in time to meet Zayn and explain everything to your parents and their friends” I suggested.

“Shit! Noah declared as the truck thumped going over something and then slowed down until we came to a stop.

“What was that?”  I asked quickly, a little shaken up.

“ I don’t know, whatever it was though. I think it popped one of our tires”  he explained, as he unbuckled his seatbelt and got out of the truck.  He walked around the back and i got and and followed him looking at the truck. There was a piece of metal back a  little on the road which must have been what we ran over, while Noah was focused on me.  I walked to the back left tire that Noah was staring at and sure enough it was popped.

“What are we going to do?” I asked Noah. I looked around and we were in the middle of nowhere, probably a few miles outside of Dublin but we still had a long way home. Fields surrounded us on both sides with the smell of musk in the air indicating to me that we only had a little bit before it became the evening. I checked my phone and praise the lord I had service. “Want to call your dad?” i asked thinking of our options.

“ Uh yea that seems like a good idea” Noah agreed and pulled out his phone and dialed his father’s number.  He paced back and forth in front of the injured tire and finally he spoke into it. “ Yea, hi dad. We hit a piece of metal and it ripped the back tire up pretty good” he explained and then waited for a reply. “I don’t think we could even make it back to Dublin with the truck, walking though we could” he added. “ How far are you could you come pick us up?” he asked into the phone. “yea that’s okay, we’ll hang in there. Love you” he stated into the phone and then hung up and looked at me. “ Do you want the good news or the bad news first?’ he asked smiling weakly.

“ The good news” I stated.

“ My dad is going to come pick us up.”

“The bad news”