Piano Man - Chapter 4

I followed Noah down the hallway, trying to be as quiet as possible the last thing I wanted was someone to try and stop him from showing me what he knows about my dad. The wooden floors were cold on my feet from the air conditioning and they creaked when you stepped to harshly but we made it down the stairs without disturbing anyone from their sleep.  It wasn’t till he swung open the door in the kitchen that I realized they had a basement. I had assumed it was a closet for their canned foods.The stairs were an odd shade of blue and looked very old from the paint chipping off of the wooden steps and I could smell the mustiness and dusk of the basement.

“What are you showing me?” I finally whispered figuring no one would be able to hear us now that we were in the basement.

“When I was younger, my dad...” Noah paused turning to look at me. “He wasn’t that happy, he’d try to cover it up in front of me but I would always hear him get up in the middle of the night.  One time I followed him and I found him down here crying. I confronted him once but he asked me not to speak of it.”

“How do you know it was about my dad?”

“ Just wait and see” He said as he searched the shelves and then finally pulled down an old chest and placed it on the floor. I went to open it but it was locked.

“Do you have the key?”

“ No, I just showed you a locked box in the middle of the night for the fun of it” He replied sarcastically and then walked over to a brick in the wall carefully prying it out and then grabbing a small key from the secret cubby-hole He dangled the key in front of me smirking.

“Smart-ass” I rolled my eyes while snatching the key from his hands and slowly moving towards the box. I was eager to see what was inside of it but scared. What if it wasn’t wanted it to be? What if it told me that he wasn’t a good father at all? Or worse what if whatever was in here left me asking even more questions, that would never be answered.  I cuffed the top part of the chest pulling it upwards while turning the key.Inside was a whole bunch of papers, I looked to Noah.

“Well don’t you want to read them?”

“ I’m not sure...”

“Take your time, we aren’t in a hurry.” He assured me and then sat down on the damp floor beside me.

I pulled out the first piece of paper, it was a newspaper article dating back to 2013. The title read ‘One Direction’s Harry Styles Missing’, I pulled out another one with a similar title ‘It’s been months since fans have seen Styles’, and as I went through more and more the titles seem to vary but all revolve around my dad somehow. ‘Styles Kidnapped?’, ‘Could Styles be dead?”, Why did Styles Leave The Band?”, One Direction Breaks Up Because Of Styles’.  It seemed that my dad did’t only have me wondering but the whole world, these article were from all over England, to America and Australia, my dad’s disappearance was a mystery. I already knew he was missing though and it didn’t seem like any of these articles knew anymore than I did. I fumbled through more and ended finding a thick pile of papers at the very bottom of chest, and as I pulled them out I realized the were envelopes filled with letters.

Dear Haz,

I don’t know if this is even your address but the fans seem to think so, and ever since we were formed the fans have been better then the FBI, so I thought why not give it a chance, right?  I think the FBI might be looking for you to, Simon is furious, I’m so worried, Liam is upset, Zayn seems pissed and well Louis hasn’t been talking to any of us lately. We are falling apart without you Harry.I am not asking you to come back but maybe just maybe mail me a letter back telling me you are okay and if you are. Then you need to let Sarah no. I thought I was worried, Sarah is torn. I’ve never seen her like this before Harry. Remember when you lost contact with her when you were teens and she seemed a bit off, times that by eleven and you have her now. I know you wouldn’t just get up and leave her with Robby and your baby girl, and I know you wouldn’t leave the band like this if it was your choice, so please just let us know you are okay. So we can stop worrying about you and get on with our lives. I miss you Haz.