Piano Man - Chapter 8

I carried the used dishes back to kitchen and set the unbalanced pile onto the counter I was shocked I had made it all the way without breaking a single dish. I looked over to Noah rolling my eyes, this job definitely wasn’t for me. Since carrying dishes actually acquired some hand eye coordination.

“Well you kids are probably dying to get home” Ed chuckled as he wheeled into the kitchen. “Both of you can leave early, thanks for being such good workers” He smiled and with that I had whipped off my apron and was ready to run home. Noah quickly followed me to the door when we both realized it was pouring cats and dogs, the windows were covered and rain drops as the rain made harsh tapping noises against the roof I was thankful that Noah had gotten the truck today but we still had to make it across the parking lot. Noah looked at me and handed me his sweater,

“Here cover your head, the rain here’s cold the last thing we need is you being sick.” He smiled. I grabbed his sweater and wrapped it around me. It smelt very good especially mixed with the husky smell of the rain while we ran to the truck, laughing as we tried to stay dry but were running through puddles that deserved titles because they were so large and deep. We splashed our way across the parking lot, failing at trying to maintain dry. I panted slightly as I got in the truck, Noah was right the rain was cold.

“That rain is cold” I exclaimed well trying to fix my hair as it was probably a wet mess.

“It’s always like that in Mullinger” Noah explained. “Don’t worry about your hair, you look fine” He smiled looking at me. I looked down trying to hide the fact that I was blushing. “ Are  you nervous about meeting Liam?” I focused on the road while driving but still kept the conversation going.

“I’m scared” I said looking down and playing with the sleeves of Noah’s sweater. “ I’m scared he won’t know anything more than we do and that this will just be a waste of everyone’s time” I explained the thoughts running through my head. “I’m scared I won’t find my dad”

“I promise you, that I will do anything to help you find you dad this summer” Noah stated sincerely.“Actually I promise you that we will find your dad before you have to go home”

“You don’t have to help me you know” I stated, I always liked feeling independent and not having to rely on others.

“I want to, if I were in your position I wouldn’t be able to stand not knowing where my dad is.” Noah said as he moved the shift back and forth, I wouldn’t even know where to begin with a stick shift, I could probably figure out an automatic once I am old enough to drive. I almost forgot that Noah was a year older than me, it always felt like we were the same age. We get along so well, when reality is he would probably get along better with Robby and Gabby and I being the same age should hang out more. I looked out the window and watched the raindrops race down to the bottom until we pulled into the Horan’s driveway. Noah pulled the truck up as closer as he could to the front door and handed me the keys to unlock it.  It was really kind of him to put me first. I hopped out of the truck and unlocked the door.

“Hello?” I called into the house while kicking my shoes off and leaving them on the doormat. Gabby and Robby must have went out before it had started raining. Sucks to be them now, probably soaked in the cold and heavy rain.