To Everything That's Ever Been The Way That It Should || 5

LOCATION: Shelby's House (Again)
YOUR POV
[]. []. []. [].

Max slept peacefully on my bed that I was allowing him to use. I didn't know what to do after he fainted, so the aftermath led to this. I couldn't leave him back in his castle, he would be a sitting Minecraft chicken. And I'm pretty sure no one, besides the ones that planned for his assassination(s), would like that.

A thought burst into my head. 'What is Shelby gonna think of this?' Because, just think about it. I pretty much just kidnapped the king. Well, this ought to be enjoyable. Not ten minutes later, Shelby came barging into my room.

"What is the meaning of this?!" She screeches, making me flinch.

"You kidnapped the king?!" She yells in disbelief. I frowned.

   "Sssssssh," I scold her, placing a finger over her lips.

   "Why is he unconscious?" Shelby hisses, trying to keep herself quiet.

   "Uhhh, I saved him from an assassination? And he realized I was his old friend that he never saw face-to-face . . . And then he kinda fainted. Yeh." I explain, putting on a big, half-apologetic grin, shrugging my shoulders. Shelby facepalms.

   "Oh my Netherstar . . ." Shelby says, beginning to curse under her breath. I just rolled my eyes.

   "C'mon Shubs, be proud of me." I say. My grin couldn't get any wider. Max started to groan, his pixel eyes fluttering open.

   "Wha— . . . W-where am I?" He asks, still only half-awake.

"Wake up, Sleeping Beauty!" I joke, causing him to chuckle.

"Oh, mornin'," he yawns tiredly, "Who's your friend?" Shelby's eyes widen as the royal figure spoke to her. It's not an everyday thing, though it used to be for me.

"My name is Shelby, Your Majesty." She drops into a low curtsy. Me and Max exchange glances, quietly laughing at her shyness.

"You may rise." He tells her. Shelby stands straight again, walking towards the kitchen.

"I'll make us some breakfast!" She yells back. I giggle at her actions.

   "She seems nice." Max states, making me smile.

   "You have no idea," I say, "She's one of the only friends I have." His expression turns into a sad one.

   "I-I'm sorry?" It came out more like a question, but I knew he sincerely meant it. I just shook my head, leaning off the wall.

   "Don't be, I've lived this way since you became king." I tell him.

   "Really?!" His face was completely shocked.

   "Yep," I start to explain, all nonchalant, "It was like a bad omen for my family. They died from a horrible sickness, and I was left orphaned with no home." The look on Max's face was one of pure sincerity.

   "S-so you became the Metal-Eater?" He asks. I nod. That was the story.

   "T-t-that's h-horrible! W-why didn't you say something?!" Max cries. My expression changes to one of annoyance. Did he not remember?

   "Because you were too busy to ever even exchange a couple words with me, you idiot." I scoff, my expression turning sour. I spun around, about to walk out of the room, but a hand on my shoulder stopped me.

   "I'm sorry, about that. I really am sad for you." Max apologizes, quite sympathetically.

   "It wasn't your fault, just a bad turn of events." I state simply, my back still facing him. He flips me over, so we're looking into each other's eyes as he holds my shoulders firmly. What—

   "Listen. I'm sorry about what happened to you. But once we get all of this sorted out and cleaned up," There was a metal clattering to the ground making me glance at the doorway.

   "I'M FINE!" Shelby yells at us. I look back to Max, who was trying to keep in his laughter.

   "After we're done with all of this, I can help you. I can give you a luxury instead of misery. No more stealing, no more guards chasing after you, no more bounty, no more enemies," he says, getting closer, "No more hiding in fear."

   That was tempting. I became a thief to make my new reputation known. It was something to easily throw away, but being royalty puts you in chains. Or just being great friends with royalty. Was it really worth it? What would I actually be giving up though?

   I'm a killer unwillingly. I'm a thief forcefully. I'm cursed upon as a gosh-darn metal-eating being. Could this all just be fixed by him? Probably not, but we just found each other. He wants to be able to see me everyday. Is it really? What do we truly want? What do we honestly desire?

   I snapped out of my thinking faze and back into reality. Our faces were nearly touching. What are we even doing? I really ask to many questions sometimes.

   "FOOD'S READY!" Shelby shouts, snapping us out of our trance.

   "We uh, better get over there." I suggest awkwardly. He nods.

   "Yeah." Was all he replied.

[].  [].  [].  [].
Same Place, Same Time
MAX'S POV
[].  [].  [].  [].

   I watched her silently walk off out the bedroom. What. Was. I. Even. Thinking?! All I want is what's best for her. But does she truly trust me after all this? I jog out ahead of her, right before she goes into the bathroom. I quietly sat at the table as Shelby sets the plates down. She notices my solemn face.

   "What's wrong?" She asks.

   "Nothing." Was my reply.

   I turned my head around to face the chair.

   " E VE R Y T H I N G "

   I whisper, so only I could hear.