The call of love - chapter 20

The Call of Love

By Mallory Quinn

Chapter 20

"Life as we know it..."

The snow continued falling abundantly and our two lovebirds barely noticed. They were so relieved; they couldn't believe that it was over. If they had been alone, they would've probably given in the Mrs. Marlowe's demands and they would've separated. They would've been the most unhappy people on the planet. They went back tot the hospital in the waiting room and Terry walked to Susanna's room. She was with her mother.

- What do you want? Said Mrs. Marlowe, haven't you done enough, with your parents?

- Mom, said Susanna, Terry's parents had the right to defend their son, like you were defending me... it's not Terry's fault. Come in Terry...

- Thanks Susanna...

- Mom, can you give us a minute alone?

- But... started Mrs. Marlowe...

- Please, mom

- Alright said Mrs. Marlowe against her will

She got out of the room and let the youngsters alone.

- Susanna, are you sure these arrangements are fine with you? Asked Terry

- You mean if I'm sure to leave Candy and you alone? You're her fiancé, you're getting married... I want you for me, but you will never love me like you love her...and that is if you love me at all! I had a brush with death, and now I feel like living... Candy saved me, she didn't have to do it, she risked her life to save me... the one who wanted to take her fiancé away from her... I don't know if I would've been as good as her. I'm freeing you from your obligation; you deserve to be happy with the one you love. I did everything to get your attention, but you didn't even see me. Ever since the accident, I finally got the long awaited attention from you, but it was pity, and guilt... no Terry, I love you with all my heart, but your pity...I can do without! So let's call it even, I saved you, Candy saved me... you can stay with her... I'm surprised by my own decision... ever since the first time I saw you, I had only one dream, to be with you. But not like this, Terry... you love another woman, and to force you to be with me...no, that wouldn't be fair...

- Susanna, I don't know what to say...

- Say "thank you"...

- Thank you so much, for everything... don't worry about the bills and the rest...

- I know, your parents are taking care of it. Thank you. Goodbye Terry, be happy with Candy. I only want your happiness... even if it's with Candy...

Terry got out of Susanna's room and she stayed alone and cried a little. Yes, she loved Terry so much, that she let him go so he could be happy. Even it took her all the strength in the world to do it.

Terry went to the waiting room to see his parents.

- Dad, mum, he said softly, I don't know how to thank you, if you hadn't been here... I would've gave in to Mrs. Marlowe's demands and Candy too, thank you...

- Terry, we're a family, we're here to help when we need each other... said his father

- I wasn't going to let that woman force my baby to marry her daughter, that would've been a disaster! Said Eleonor

- Thank you, I never been so happy to hear you call me "baby" in front of people.

He hugged his mother and the others burst out laughing. Everybody went back home relieved to see this problem solved. Susanna stayed with her mother, the heartbroken of course, but with the satisfaction to have done a good deed, a selfless act... time mends the wounds...