The call of love - chapter 15

The Call of Love

By Mallory Quinn

Chapter 15

"Candy returns to New York"

The boat accosted in New York and a lot of passengers were getting off, happy to be on firm ground, after days and days in the middle of the ocean. They were now safe, not only from the sea but also from Europe who was torn by the war. Among the passengers, there was a man with white hair with a young girl and a young boy, with a lot of luggage. They had a big house on Park Avenue. The duke of Grandchester went to his new house with his two children. He had a lot of employees that were waiting for them with an assistant who took care of also enrolling the children in a local private school. The two children, Richard Jr. who was called Dick was 15 and a girl Diana was 14. The children where happy to be in America far away from the war in Europe. Their parents had told them the news of their divorce together. The children were not really surprised because they had felt a long time ago the there was no love between their mother and father. The duke, felt liberated ever since he left England and his duty. It was not too late to live like he wanted now, with the one he wanted, if it was not too late. After settling down in the house and undoing his luggage with the staff, he went out to eat in restaurant. He saw Georgie arriving from afar and he stood up to greet her.

- Mrs. Bateman, he said stopping in front of her

Georgie looked and she recognised Terry's father and she smile.

- The duke of Grandchester

- Call me Richard, please...

- Ok, if you call me Georgie...

- Georgie, do you want to have lunch with me?

- With pleasure said Georgie smiling

They sat down and ordered their meal.

- I'm surprise to see you here in New York, said Georgie

- I came because I needed a change of atmosphere and the war in Europe didn't make things easier

- I came for business and I stayed because of the war

- You're pretty smart, transferring your business here, it's safer here... and when the war will be over, Europe will need the help of America...and you could take advantage and expand your business...

- I see you did the same thing....

- I know a good opportunity when I see one, this will make us rich if we can pull it off

- That's always a nice skill to have, said Georgie smiling

- Beautiful and smart... you're irresistible, Georgie

In normal time, Georgie would've blown off the duke, but... she was feeling lonely and he was Terry's father. She needed a friend.

- Mr....I mean, Richard, it's really a pleasure talking with you, said Georgie laughing

Laurent and Eleonor also entered the restaurant to have lunch. Laurent saw Georgie from afar with a man, and he was wondering who it was. They approached them and Eleonor opened her eyes wide when she recognised the duke.

- Hello, said Laurent smiling

- Hello Laurent, said Georgie, Eleonor...

- Richard? Said Eleonor, what are you doing here in New York?

- Hello, Laurent... said the duke

- Good day Richard, said Laurent

- Eleonor, said Richard smiling, you're even more beautiful than in the papers... I live in New York now, I don't know if you know that Europe is at war...joked the duke