The call of love - chapter 6

The call of love

Chapter 6

"The holidays in New York"

On December 24th, 1913, Christmas Eve, it was the last year before the four years of war, of terror and fear. If the head of states knew what was in the making, the people didn't know anything, or those who suspect it, forgot about it for this last week of the year of peace. It was snowing lightly, and a young man was looking at the snowflakes spinning around in the air and settle on the roofs of houses, buildings, on parked cars, benches, on passers-by or simply on the ground. But he was not seeing the snow, he was seeing hills in the sun in Scotland, near the lake; a young girl with blond curly hair, prank, that was climbing trees, who was running and who was laughing out loud... he saw her beautiful green emerald eyes and the freckles on her nose. He regretted not taking her with him! Not a day or a moment went by without him thinking of her, he wanted to see her again so much. But he was now on the other side of the Atlantic, she stayed in England. If he were still there, he would've gone to get her in that cold and brittle college; he would've married her, against all odds, which meant against his father's advice. But it didn't serve anything to regret...it won't change the situation. It was Christmas Eve. Christmas, was a family holiday...family...he dreamt about making a family with her...but for now, the only family he had, was his mother. He felt a sudden urge to see her on this Christmas Eve. He took his coat, he went downtown to buy a present for her, just before the stores close. Every body closed early to go be with their family. He arrived in front of his mother's villa. The last time he was there, she sent him back to his father... he rang the door. An employee opened the door...she smiled.

- Oh... it's Mr. Terrence! Come in, Mr. Terrence. Merry Christmas!

- Madam...Happy Christmas

- Let me get your coat...

Terrence Grandchester got into the one of the living rooms and he found his mother, dresses in red, one of the colours of Christmas. She turned around and a smile illuminated her face.

- Terrence?

- Mum! Happy Christmas! Said Terrence approaching her

- Merry Christmas, honey, she said hugging him

They sat down on the couch.

- I got a letter from your father. He was looking for you, she said

- He didn't accuse you of kidnapping? Said Terrence ironically

- Oh he might as well! According to him, the preposterous idea of you wanting to become an actor came from me

- Really? You can't really fight the genes... I'm surprise that the international police is not at your doorstep already to arrest you

- Not more surprised than me...

They burst out laughing.

- So you really want to become an actor?

- I just found a job with the Stratford troupe...

- Robert Hathaway's? It's a good troupe. I suppose no one knows I'm your mother?

- I want to make it on my own. I hope you don't mind...

- Terry you want to become an actor! I'm the happiest woman in the world! And you're living now in the same city as me! No more ocean between us!

Terry eyes became sad all of a sudden. He was thinking about the one he left behind on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, and his mother saw his sadden face.

- Terry, what's wrong? Asked his mother, you're sad all of a sudden... you're thinking about her?

Terry looked at her surprised, his mother knew about his feelings...since when? Was he that transparent?