The call of love - chapter 10

The call of love

Chapter 10

"The return of Candy's friends"

Candy went back to the apartment, very very sad. Terry, without Terry, she felt so sad. She was used to seeing him everyday. The routine continued. Georgie had another idea for her Community Centre. She added a legal service, with lawyers to help those who can't afford it; if Abel had had a good lawyer... she wanted to help those who were wrongfully accused and who didn't have the money to pay for a lawyer. After paying their debt to society, those youngsters will be trained to learn a job and make a life for themselves.

Days and weeks passed, Candy was receiving letter from Terry and she sent him a telegram almost every night before his play.

Terry needed his Freckles; he spent his free time writing letters to her. Susanna was trying to get close to him, without any success, if he was not writing Candy a letter; he was playing the harmonica alone in his own little corner.

Susanna didn't give up. She loved Terry like crazy. Karen was trying to teach her out of it.

- Susanna, you're wasting your time

- I love him Karen... I love him so much it hurts

- Susanna, he's engaged, give it up. You're making yourself suffer for nothing

- Well his fiancée is not here; let me have fun in her absence...

Karen shook her head and said to herself that Susanna was a masochist.

A few weeks later, Candy received a telegram that made her so happy;

"CANDY stop ARRIVING IN NEW YORK BY BOAT stop CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU stop WILL BE THERE IN 2 WEEKS full stop"

- Great! Said Candy

- Candy? called Georgie

- Yes, I'm here...

- Is Terry back?

- No

- So why are you so happy?

- Oh... I just got a telegram from my cousins, they are arriving in two weeks

- It's the same boat, as Charlotte said Georgie

- That's wonderful, said Candy laughing

Georgie and Candy were relieved that the people they loved were going to be safe and sound soon with them in America.

- Georgie, said Candy, can my cousins and Annie spend a few days here if they want?

- Of course Candy, you could with them to Chicago too, if you want, for a few days...

- You're reading my mind Georgie, said Candy smiling

- I know you Candy, she said smiling

They burst out laughing.

The Atlantic Ocean was calm and the boat was bringing back the passengers to America, to security. Alistair, Annie, Neil and Eliza were all very glad to be going back home.

- You sent the telegram to Candy? Asked Archie to Stear

- Of course, she will be at the harbour waiting for us, you'll see

- "Georgie Jr.", said Annie, I can't believe they think she's Georgie Bateman's daughter

- She looks like her, don't you think so? Said Archie

- That's not it, said Archie, she could really be her daughter, she looks so much like her, but Candy practically appeared out of nowhere, as if by magic. Georgie, who was without a child, suddenly becomes the mother of a teenager...