The call of love - chapter 3

The call of love

Chapter 3

"The beauty and the tramp"

A few days later, Candy was charged to go give a cheque to a homeless shelter. She met the manager of the shelter who greeted her warmly. She was a nice middle aged woman.

- Thank you very much and say thank you to Mrs. Bateman, said the manager

- I will, said Candy

- You want to visit a little?

- Yes of course, if you have time...

- I have all the time in the world

The manager gave her the tour, there were a lot of rooms, a big living room a big dining room and a big kitchen.

- Do you need any help? Asked Candy

- For what? Asked the manager

- In the kitchen for example...

- Yes, we always need help...

- Great! Can I come and help you sometimes?

- Of course. Volunteers are always welcome

- Thank you very much

- No, I'm the one that should thank you, Miss. If there were more people like you, the world would be a better place

Candy finished her tour and left. She was walking in the area that was not a really good one; because what would be the use of having a homeless shelter in the nice area where everybody had a roof over their heads? If Mohamed doesn't go to the mountain, the mountain goes to Mohamed. There were a lot of poor and homeless hobos. Some were already intoxicated. One of the hobos, dirty, filthy and stinking, saw Candy and approached her. His breath was smelling like alcohol and Candy wanted to get away from him, but the tramp started to talk.

- Wait Georgie... hic...it's you...Georgie I wanted to say I'm sorry... hic for the baby... I was broke... I was suppose to kill it...but I didn't have the heart ... so adorable, I sold it... Forgive me...hic

Candy didn't really understand what the tramp was saying. Georgie, baby? Georgie had a baby? The tramp hung on to her. He was stinking alcohol and dirt, but Candy said to herself that maybe Georgie would want to talk to him.

- Ok, sir, she said you want to come with me?

- You're going to give me something to drink?

- If you promise to behave...

- O...k hic...I'll behave...I'll be on...my best behaviour...hic

Georgie's driver was waiting for them at the corner of the street. He seemed surprised to see Candy with a dirty man and stinking, but didn't say anything. Candy was Georgie's "daughter" and they had the order to obey her. He helped the tramp into the car. Candy sat in front with the driver.

- Are you sure you know what you're doing, Miss Candy

- Not really. But I have nothing to lose... well maybe Georgie's trust... but something tells me it's not all for nothing...

They arrived at Georgie's and Candy took the tramp in the back of the mansion in the helps' quarters. She gave the order to the gardener to wash him, until he was clean, and give him clean clothes and especially to feed him. The staff thought the request was a little odd but they complied. They thought that Candy was Georgie's daughter who was at St. Paul College, she looked so much like her... and the press nicknamed her, "Georgie Jr"...She also asked them to prepare a big lunch for her and Georgie.