The call of love - chapter 14

The Call of Love...

By Mallory Quinn

Chapter 14

"The King Lear..."

The day of the King Lear representation by the Stratford troupe arrived. The tickets from the third class were distributed among young people who were very interested by theatre and who couldn't afford it. Most of them were poor and they didn't have any nice clothes to wear. Candy gave then some gift certificates so they could get what they need for the theatre in local stores, compliments of the Abel and Arthur Community Centre.

The Stratford troupe was on the train taking them to Chicago. Terry was sitting by the window and looking outside. He was thinking about his beloved, he missed her so much. They passed the stop for the Pony Home and he thought about that snowy day, when he went to see the house where Candy had grown up and the famous Pony hill she talked about so much.

- Terry, are you ok? Said Susanna's voice

- Yes he answered still looking out the window

- You seem...out there! Said Susanna

- He's thinking about Candy! Said Karen

Terry didn't answer, he wanted to see Candy so much that sometimes he thought about disappearing for one day to go and see her. She was sending him a telegram every night, in every city they passed. He was always so happy to hear from her.

Susanna had tried to get close to Terry during the tour, but without any success he was only thinking about Candy! But she loved him more and more and she wanted to be near him. Karen was trying to reason with her. Susanna was blinded by her obsession for Terry. Terry on his end didn't seem to have noticed Susanna's infatuation, he only had one woman in his head, Candice White Andrew....

Candy and Annie had finally finished their work for the day. Annie was going to change in Candy's suite. Trey was supposed to come and pick them up.

- What time is Trey coming? Asked Candy

- 6h30, said Annie

- You, know, Archie is annoyed every time we bring him with us...

- Archie who?

- You're hurt; he doesn't even notice you...

- Trey is wonderful, and he thinks I'm wonderful and if Archie didn't see that, too bad for him! Life goes on...

- You're right, never let an opportunity to be happy pass you by... I'm going to see Terry tonight... I'm so excited!

- He doesn't know you're here?

- No... and he's going to be surprised not to receive a telegram from me, for the first time...

- He's going to be happy to see you...

- As happy as I will be. Let's get ready...

- Candy it's good to see you so elegant and pretty. I thought the tomboy in you would never go away!

Candy burst out laughing.

- Annie, if I want to climb trees, I will put some pants on, not a pretty dress...

- I sure hope so..., said Annie, it would a pity to ruin a nice dress on a branch...

They finished getting ready and then, Annie did Candy's hair, and hers. They were ready. Trey arrived at exactly 6h30 pm. Candy and Annie were waiting for him in the hotel's lobby.

- You're punctual, Trey, said Annie smiling

- A gentleman is always on time said Trey with a smile, Annie, Candy you are, both, very beautiful...