The call of love - chapter 9

The call of love

Chapter 9

"Candy's birthday"

Georgie inaugurated her American branch with a big reception at her apartment. The winds of war were starting to blow in Europe. Charlotte was writing about the situation that was not very good and that it would be safer to transfer the majority of their operations in America. Georgie told her to get ready in case of an emergency, to also come to America. Charlotte decided to comply; she left the associates in charge of the operations and started to get ready to join her daughter in America.

Georgie's research for her child continued. She had a surprise one day when she got to the private eye's office.

- Laurent? What are you doing here?

- Well, I'm doing research on... started Laurent

- The baby? Said Georgie

- You knew it was alive and you didn't tell me?

- You're one to talk! You did the same thing!

- I didn't want to give you false hope...

- Me neither. And I didn't want to disturb your marriage...

- My marriage was already a failure, Georgie...

- I'm sorry...

- I'm not. I've fulfill my duty. My grandfather should be satisfied... I now can be with you...

- Laurent...

- I don't understand, ever since the New Year, it's like you're avoiding me... we had a good time together, it was wonderful, but since then, it's like you're pretending nothing happened...

- I have a lot of work, Laurent, my company...

- You're company is fine...

- Yes, but for now, I don't have the time for a relationship... I want to find our child... you understand me?

- Of course, said Laurent sadly

The private investigator arrived and found them both.

- Mrs. Bateman, Mr. Grey...

- You can talk to us at the same time, is that ok, Georgie?

- Of course, said Georgie, but make two reports...

- Euh... ok, said the private investigator

He gave them an update on his research that were progressing very slowly, because very little thing were documented.

One evening, Candy was in the living room with Terry when Georgie arrive.

- Hey the couple! Said Georgie

- Hi Georgie, said Candy

- Good evening Georgie, said Terry

- Candy, I have a proposition for you...

- I'm at your service Georgie, said Candy

- Candy, stop, said Georgie, if you decide to do nothing, I will still keep you with me anyway. But It's not your type. You like to help other people... I saw it with Sherman Woods... what would you say to make it your mission? Not Sherman Woods, well... I mean help others

- How? Asked Candy

- Well, there's a wind of war blowing in Europe. Charlotte is coming here soon, to stay with us

- Great!

- Isn't it? So... I was saying, in England, I was helping a lot of charities like you figured it out. Here, I want to do the same thing, but a little differently...