The call of love - chapter 12

The Call of Love

By Mallory Quinn

Chapter 12

"Fun at the manor"

Georgie woke up and she got ready to go to the office, but she called Candy in Chicago first.

- Candy?

- Mom... how are you?

- I'm fine. Did you have a good night?

- Yes, what about you?

- Yes, I did. I'm going to the office

- I'm going to make arrangements for the theatre tickets for the less fortunate, for all the third class seats in fact... because the other places will be used by the Chicago's high class...

- Ok. One of the associate called me to tell me he was very impressed with my daughter...

- I had a good teacher...

- But honey, don't get too tired. If you want to have fun, go ahead... you're only young once in life

- I love to work Georgie, and you know it...

- Yes, I know....have a nice day

- Say hi to grandpa and grandma for me

- They miss you too

- How's Laurent?

- He's fine

- Georgie, don't forget you too; there is only one life to live...

- Thanks Candy. Have a nice day

- Have a nice day too

When Georgie hung up, she had a little smile. The research for her child continued. Laurent was one of the most eligible bachelors in New York, but everybody knew he was interested in Georgie Bateman at one point. But that didn't stop some young girls and divorced women of widows to try. They didn't know that Laurent was in love with Georgie for years, ever since the fist time he laid his eyes on her...

Georgie called Laurent and she invited him for lunch. Yes, she had to find her child, but Laurent was there and he was being very patient. There was a new rumour circulating that he was dating Eleonor Baker...She wanted to ask him about it.

Eleonor and Laurent were good friends, nothing more. He spent a lot of time talking to her about Georgie. But the fact that they spent a lot of time together, people were starting, of course to speculate. Georgie was not worried, but she was still hurting a little.

The duke of Grandchester was starting to put his whole life into a new perspective. His arranged marriage was of course not working. Truth be told, ever since he saw Candy at that reception, so in love with his son, he remembered his old days with Eleonor... he loved her so much! He'd left her to fulfill his duty... His son showed the love he was feeling for Candy first, by swallowing his pride to ask him for help and then my making a deal with the sisters. Candy was in love, all you have to do his watch her talk about Terry, her eyes were shining and her face was glowing. He had forgotten what love was... In the old days, his duty was more important, but now, he had fulfilled his duty and he felt kind of empty... He went to talk to his wife who was in their bedroom.

- Honey, he said, I have to talk to you. I have some business in America...

- In America? In New York you mean... you want to go back to her, right? You want to make her your mistress?

- I don't know what you're talking about...

- Come on Richard, stop joking around! Eleonor Baker, the famous actress and the love of your life... but who wasn't good enough to be the wife of the duke of Grandchester...