I, Borg

This is a rather fascinating glimpse into the wonders of the human mind, through the eyes of a Borg... Uh, yes. A Borg. And yes, this is the sequel to End of Line - ish. It involves the same characters, that's all.

The end still makes me shiver.

****

The Girl sat up suddenly. She looked around, her eyes finding each little small detail of the room. There were white curtains at the far end, just in front of what looked like windows.

As she panned around, she could see various bits of medical equipment around the room - each placed in a logical position for maximum efficiency, she noted.

There was a man sitting by the bed with tired bags under his eyes, his hair messed up and his black uniform creased. He smiled at her, and she regarded him with a strange look. She then turned back to the curtains, and got out of bed.

She stepped tentatively towards them, before tearing them wide open, the bright light overloading her optical nerves. As her eyes adjusted, she could see the rolling countryside of... of... somewhere she recognised.

The land was green, with hedges splitting it up into organised squares. The sun was shining onto them creating a very beautiful sight, as it pierced the fog which lay ominously on the hills.

Then, just as she saw a rose growing out of the ground, something twigged at her gut. She frowned, surprised by this sudden influx of feeling. Then she got it, and she suddenly felt lonely, and dependant.

She turned around, and strode over to the man. She considered him with her cool green eyes, before a word popped into her head, a word full of emotion and twisted feelings.

He looked up at her and spoke softly to her:

'You don't know me do you? You're still that emotionless Borg, wanting to assimilate everyone you see...'

She thought about this, and her mouth opened. At the last moment, she caught a hold of herself. She was Borg, not human. She decided to say 'We are the Borg' - but the words wouldn't come out.

She sighed, the word slipped out her mouth, and the feeling in her gut lessened. She had just said a very powerful word: to the Borg, that is.

She had just whispered 'Daddy...'